Reocurring Task - Outlook 2013 synced to Outlook.com (EAS)

I'm using Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com EAS to sync my calendars, contacts and tasks across platforms and onto my smartphone. The outlook.com account looks like I'm part of a Beta group as it has a very new look and in the main title for each section it has the word (Preview). I have two outlook.com accounts, one old and one they "converted". I set this connection up between my Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com about a week ago using instructions on this website. In case it matters, my phone is an iPhone running ios 9.2. My Windows OS is Win 7, Ultimate, 64bit, all maintenance applied to OS and Office.

The issue I'm having is that I use reoccurring monthly tasks, like pay a bill on the 28th, set to reoccur every 28th. I thought the issue originally had to do with my tasks being very old in 2013 and outlook.com couldn't understand them when I synced so I set them up all up as new tasks (deleted and added new tasks with a naming convention I could recognize as the new task.) 

I set up a task, pay bill on the 28th with a reminder on the 28th at 10:00am. The task shows in Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com. I pay the bill on the 27th and place a check mark in the box beside the task in the To-Do view in Outlook 2013. The task is marked complete and a new task generates. The tasks in the To-Do view gets a strike through font, changes to greyed out and sits on the list for a period of time. 

Here is where the issue starts, in Outlook.com it remains as overdue, says so right on screen. I check the task and it shows a start date of December 27, 2015 but the reminder shows January 28, 2016. (Outlook.com must be acknowledging the completion as it moved the reminder forward to next month.)

I thought I would wait a day or so to see if it was showing in Outlook.com until the original task cleared off my today to-do view in Outlook 2013. No luck, the completed task if off my to-do view in Outlook 2013.

Today I tried marking task completed both in Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com. No luck. Task would showed completed in outlook.com but if you refresh, F5 task view, the task resorts back to being overdue on December 28 or it moves reminder to Feb 28th. .

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how do I get Outlook.com to acknowledge / sync the task for Decemeber 28th was completed?  It should also be showing the generated task in Outlook 2013 for the next month.

Thanks

After initiating thread... I tried creating the reoccurring task in outlook.com and them marked it complete in Outlook 2013. Same issue happens. Reminder moves to next date, task shows over due in outlook.com and start date was back dated one day. Outlook 2013 marked the task completed and regenerated task for the following month, exactly what it was supposed to do.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've made a significant step forward after testing all types of combinations.

This incorrect handling of tasks appears to be a direct result of my iPhone running iOs 9.2.

If I mark a monthly reoccurring task complete in either outlook 2013 or outlook.com the reminder moves ahead in Outlook.com but the activity shows as Overdue in Outlook.com. As per above Outlook 2013 handles both correctly.

I noticed tasks are not being marked completed on my iPhone. Figuring what have I got to lose I tapped the task completed on my phone. Almost immediately the task completes on outlook.com and the task regenerates in outlook.com one month later. Set up another new monthly task in Outlook 2013 and this time marked it complete on iPhone. Everything synced as it should.

Looks like start date is back dated one day in outlook.com but reminder holds the correct date. (Checked, this is not because of business days. Used December 29th as initial date and January 29th, 2016 are both working days. Also my PC date and time are correct, syncing to internet.)

For some reason creation of tasks is fully synced across platforms but at a minimum, the completion status is not as fluid.

Checked iPhone. Under Settings / Reminders I have it set to Sync All Reminders and the Default List set Outlook.com Tasks. There are no other options under Reminders.

At least I have a work around and a new topic to search.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ken,

It might have been a sync issue between your IPhone and server. However, glad to know that you were able to find the cause of the issue. Please get back to us if you have further related queries.

We would be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is definitely a sync issue but it has a root cause. I have been entering tasks and testing for days. I've restarted Outlook 2013, logged in and out of outlook.com and shut down the reminder app on phone several times. Everything, contacts, tasks, calendar are syncing just not completion status.

I have no way to determine who owns the root cause as I have no way to trace in the ether. Is outlook.com not pushing the new status or is iPhone not pulling.

Further I'm not sure with the way Outlook.com is handling the completion status. I mark complete in Outlook 2013 but as outlined above the Start date in Outlook.com does not move forward to next month, just the reminder.

Why would outlook.com hold the original start date when outlook 2013 says its complete. It doesn't seem right that the iphone should have precedence to hold the task in an uncompleted status. Outlook.com should move the start date forward and if the iPhone doesn't sync that is Apple's issue. This is NOT what is happening.

Maybe you could help tell me what is the expected activity. When a task is marked completed in Outlook 2013 does it push the new status to Outlook.com or does Outlook.com come and get the info?

Further if Outlook.com gets a new reminder date and start date from Outlook 2013 why is it not using these fields? Does outlook.com require all devices it is syncing with to show a task complete?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Jesinta for responding and getting my thought process going.

This is definitely a Microsoft issue.

I shut my syncing of reminders off on my iPhone through Setting. I confirmed it was disabled by going to reminders in setting. My outlook.com account was not listed.

I then created a new monthly task in Outlook 2013 for today with a reminder. Logged into my tasks on outlook.com and the tasks was present. I marked complete in Outlook 2013 and sure enough the same behavior was exhibited.

The tasks went into over due status, the start date said none, (checked in Outlook 2013, it was there) and it moved the date forward for the reminder to next month.

So now what I think is happening is that when I mark it complete on my iPhone outlook.com truly acknowledges it is complete and everything syncs properly. If I mark complete either in Outlook 2013 or Outlook.com the completion status is corrupted.  In an earlier test I marked a task complete in outlook.com and while outlook 2013 handle properly outlook.com change status to overdue and moved reminder forward.

Is there somewhere I should open a formal problem ticket. My outlook.com says preview in the title bars so I assume I'm in a beta group.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your quick response.

I have sent you a private message, kindly reply to the message through private message itself.

Regards,
Jesinta Rozario

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've responded to your private message with what I hope is all the information you requested.

Addresses, ID's, Trace and Screen shots.

Look forward to the outcome of the analysis.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm attempting to get an update on the analysis. Jesinta Rozario I sent the information in on December 30, 2015. I followed up in an email. Not sure if that went through.

Can I get an update on the analysis of the information I sent, please and thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ken,

We apologize for the delayed response.

Kindly check your private message.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ken,

Please check the private message that I have sent you.

Awaiting your response.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Information sent.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2019 Views 209 Applies to: