How to register a domain to Windows Live Admin Center?

How can I successfully register my domain to Windows Live Admin Center?

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2018 Views 6,695 Applies to:
Answer

An MX record specifies which server in your domain should receive incoming e-mail. It is used to authenticate your domain name. You can locate your MX Record once you have registered your domain to a domain registrar. If you own a domain name, you can register the domain name with Admin Center. If you do not own a domain name, you can purchase one from a domain registrar (A company that is accredited to sell Internet domain names.) on the Web. In some countries and regions, you can purchase a domain name from one of our partners during the sign-up process.

I have provided below the steps on how you can successfully register your domain to Windows Live Admin Center.

1. Sign in to https://domains.live.com with your Microsoft account (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Microsoft, MSN or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network, Outlook.com or Messenger account, you can use it as your Microsoft account).

2. Click Get started.

3. Type your domain name in the domain name box.

4. In the Choose mail service for your domain section, select one of the following options and then click Continue:

• Set up Outlook.com for my domain: Use Microsoft account to host e-mail for your domain. When you select this option, you have to create an MX record (An MX record specifies which server in your domain should receive incoming e-mail.) in your DNS settings to authenticate your domain with Admin Center.
  • No mail for my domain (you can add mail later): Select this option if your e-mail is hosted by a third-party. When you select this option, you must create a CNAME record (A CNAME record maps an alias to Canonical name. For example, The CNAME record appears on the Setup page if you do not select the Mail option when you sign up for Windows Live Admin Center. You can use a CNAME record to authenticate your domain or to create a custom address in AdminCenter) in your DNS (The DNS (Domain Name System) helps your computer find other computers and websites on the Internet. A domain may provide a website (such as www.wingtiptoys.com) and e-mail (such as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***), among other services.) settings to authenticate your domain with Admin Center.

5. On the Review settings and accept agreement page, you can review your settings by clicking Custom Domains/Admin Center

- If you want to set up the your Microsoft account as administrator, type the characters in the text box and click I accept.

- If you want to change the administrator account, click Change user then sign in to the Microsoft account that you want to set up as administrator. Perform steps 2 to 4 above and type the characters in the text box and click I accept.

To verify your domain ownership, you can follow the instructions in this link.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.