Rename/Merge a Hotmail and a Outlook Account

I want to rename/merge an account. I have an old hotmail account I want to merge with an existing one, that I created using the new outlook address. I didnt find the rename option in hotmail, untill after I created the new account. I want to merge these two, so that my current hotmail will be a alias, and my skydrive storage will become my outlook skydrive, with the same storage. Please help.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi DustinWilliard,

Currently, Microsoft account does not support merging accounts.

Customers can link accounts with the following steps: 

1.0    Auto-forward all old account mail to new account. This way at least customers will have all of their mail in one place, and can reply to it using their new address.

2.0    To forward mail, log in to the account from which you want your mail forwarded, and click the gear menu at the upper right. Choose More mail settings from the dropdown, then Email forwarding from the Managing your account list.

3.0 Link your old account to your new account. Log in to one of your accounts, then click your user name in the upper right. Choose Account settings. On the left side of the screen, click Permissions, then click Manage linked accounts. In the new screen, choose Add linked

4.0 To switch between two linked accounts, click the user tile at the upper-right of your Outlook window.

For more information about Outlook.com, please check this FAQ.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yea, that doesnt help, its already linked. As with others previous users, who grabbed a new outlook email address, before we received the email to our hotmail addresses, saying we can rename our hotmail to an outlook. So from what I have read, If I rename my current outlook email to another name, my current outlook email will become an alias. Then if I delete the alias, and maybe the other account, it should free my email address I want. I assume that when I do so, since hotmail asks to rename to a outlook address automatically. it will be protected from others taking it. Do all hotmail address have the option to up-name to outlook? Therfore, it is kinda reserved if we can do so? From other prevous posters, it was written that microsoft is looking into the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please verify if you want to rename your Hotmail account to your existing Outlook.com account. If yes, you can use your @outlook.com as a primary account of your @hotmail.com account. However, you would need to delete your @outlook.com and you will wait for 360 days for the account name may be permanently deleted. Then you can proceed to rename your @hotmail.com account to your previous @outlook.com account name.

Note, after 360 days the deleted @outlook.com will become available in the system for pick up but you may not necessarily get it back in case someone else takes it before you! In short, you bear the risk of losing the account name.

You may refer to these steps for better understanding:

1. Delete your @outlook.com account and wait for 360 days for the account name may be permanently deleted.

2. If the @outlook.com is still available in the system to pick up after 360 days, rename the @hotmail.com immediately. (If the @outlook.com is not available after the deletion process, you need to rename your @hotmail.com to a different @outlook.com account name).

Renaming your account causes your sign in name to change from your existing @hotmail.com address to your new @outlook.com address. Your existing address becomes an alias of your new account so that mail delivery is uninterrupted.  After renaming your account you will sign in with your new account to all services you previously accessed with your old account.

If you have any clarifications, please let us know.

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I read somewhere else on the forum, that if i rename the outlook address to another email address, it will make it in to a alias. Then if i delete the alias, and close the newly created primary account, that after 30 days my original email address I wanted will be available, as it became a alias. I have already done this, it is close to the 30 day mark. Are there other cases where this worked as a faster way. I know the alias will free iteself soon, I have had others that did so after 30 days or so.

What do you think?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Melanie,

I would just like to add a "me too" to this issue.  I'm sure that we are not alone in this.  I have used my hotmail account since the dawn of time.  I got my ideal outlook account name before I knew that adding an alias was even a function.

Surely Microsoft agrees that I shouldn't be penalized for being eager to use their services.  I think this issue needs to be addressed until the proper solution is created, and this is merging accounts.

Thank you for your time.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I should add that the biggest reason this is a problem is that my hotmail account has the 25GB SkyDrive, which I use regularly.  My outlook is limited to 7GB.  I don't even mind just having the 25GB moved to outlook, not expecting the SkyDrive volumes to add up (to 32GB).

This is quite a serious issue moving into W8 and WP8, as I would like to have one login account for both and be connected to all cloud services.

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you renamed your outlook.com account and then deleted the outlook.com alias so the account name will be available in 30 days?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I have, I am the original poster, different account name, I am still waiting to rename my account, the 30 day mark was on the 20th of October, I have tried each day, says that the account is not available, I imagine it takes a little while to clear that name out from being used as an alias. I heard of this from some other postings, I believe they said it could work, but I am not sure. 

I renamed the outlook mail, so it became and alias, then I deleted the alias, and closed the account with the new name. So now I am waiting for the 30 days + mark when the alias clears out of the Microsoft system. Hopefully then it will become available for use, and I can proceed to rename my hotmail address to the new outlook address I really wanted. This is all to get the legacy skydrive 25gb to my outlook, and to make the now hotmail address into an alias. It gets too much junk mail anyway. 

Will the above approch work, or did I error, and block myself from using it for 365 days?

30 days sure beats 365 days, I wish there was a way to just merge the two accounts since they are both mine. would save microsoft resources, and mine. But, I have already tried the above, so I have to wait.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

So.... no reply about if this approach will work?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Will the above approch work, or did I error, and block myself from using it for 365 days?

30 days sure beats 365 days, I wish there was a way to just merge the two accounts since they are both mine. would save microsoft resources, and mine. But, I have already tried the above, so I have to wait.

Where did the 365 days come from? In previous (now locked) threads the timeout period is quoted by members of the MS Live team as being 270 days (30 for the Alias deletion)

I also have exactly the same problem, as do hundreds of other loyal MS customers.

I also would like the loyalty bonus SkyDrive storage moved or merged to new outlook account (like everyone else rushed to seize my preferred outlook address, as I did  not discover the upgrade option in Hotmail until it was too late).
But more importantly, all my related accounts (xbox etc) I would want merged as well, and, quite frankly suggesting closing or deleting it as an alias is somewhat silly. there is no guarantee at all that you will be able to re-obtain those credentials, and your 30/270 day wait may turn out to be a complete waste of time, putting you squarely back in the same position you are in now (using an account name that is not your primary choice, but the best of what was available to you at the time)

In the other thread it was mentioned by a member of the Live team that this matter had been broached in meetings, has there been any progress, and if so are there any timelines that may assist all the people having this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2020 Views 7,183 Applies to: