Hotmail/Outlook.com stuck in mobile-view?

Hello,

When I login to hotmail.com or outlook.com, the inbox displays as short text-only emails and there is no option to change to html-view.. It looks like the emails are displayed in mobile-view and the address that is displayed is mail.live.com/m/?id-xxxx . There are no options to change the settings and using a different browser/clearing cookies did not help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

When I login to hotmail.com or outlook.com, the inbox displays as short text-only emails and there is no option to change to html-view.. It looks like the emails are displayed in mobile-view and the address that is displayed is mail.live.com/m/?id-xxxx . There are no options to change the settings and using a different browser/clearing cookies did not help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I have this problem too, I thought maybe it was just my work computers but using either IE6 or Firefox 4 both display outlook.com as mobile view. If I go home and use IE9 or Opera 10 then it works in desktop view. I have tried clearing browser cache and cookies. I don't have permissions at work to change the user agent from mobile to desktop.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

Ron is right. I suggest that you upgrade your internet browsers to its latest versions to make sure its compatibility with the new interface. Please refer to this link to know more about it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/supported-browsers?SignedIn=1

Best regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I used Outlook in the business world and like it. So, when I get the email saying I should upgrade to Outlook from Hotmail, I'm thinking hey, what the heck.

HUGE MISTAKE! Go figure because it's MICROSOFT. They should change the name to MICROHARD because not only is everything hard on a Windows PC, you get the hard one up the old tail pipe when you make the mistake of actually thinking that anything MICROHARD will work as advertised.

I"m on an Intel Mac running Tiger. It works great and I ain't gonna change. I use Firefox because it also works and I ain't gonna change.

The part that stretches your rectum out'a shape is that after you upgrade to Outlook, you have to upgrade Firefox. BUT YOU CAN'T upgrade Firefox because Firefox no longer supports OS X 10.4.

And, the MICROHARD solution is to UPGRADE YOUR EQUIPMENT....GO FIGURE !

I'm sorry that Microsoft and Apple have been fighting it out for decades and I'm sorry Apple is winning, but seriously. Dishing up Microsoft Outlook whos functionality is flawed on Apple or Open Source platforms and then telling me to buy a PC is just BS.

I'd check-mark the 'response' button on this post to I can follow updates BUT I CAN'T GET TO MY HOTMAIL  ACCOUNT UNTIL I BUY A PC.....

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

@CarlHedgepeth,

We do understand your frustration. We appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. Please post the details of your feedback on this link so that it can be addressed properly. We appreciate your willingness to try Outlook.com, but we realize some may prefer to go back to Hotmail.  To switch back to Hotmail, perform the following steps with Outlook.com displayed in your browser:

1.       Click on the cog icon in the upper right corner of the page next to your name.

2.       Select the last item in the menu, Switch back to Hotmail.

@everyone,

If you want to go back to the desktop version of Outlook.com instead of the mobile site, please follow the steps below.

1. Login to your account

2. Follow this link http://profile.live.com/contacts?bfv=um

3. Click the word "PC site" at the bottom part of the page.

Thanks!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That link takes you to contacts page after clicking on pc site when you then go to outlook mail page the options icon is not there and the mail page is still in mobile version.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What browser and browser version are you using?

Sorry this didn't help.

What browser and browser version are you using?

I am using Internet explorer ..Internet explorer 8.. as I said on an earlier post I had a live chat with microsoft tech and apparently its a fault that some are experiencing .. no options box when they move from hotmail to Outlook.. it appears the mail page is somehow locked into mobile view..

Even when I tried the link above which took me to my contacts page and I clicked the PC site when it went back to mail page the options icon was still not there.. wish I had not switched to outlook now and stayed with hotmail till it was automatically switched maybe I would have got the options icon then.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lindy2262,

It is possible that you are experiencing this issue because of your browser.  We suggest that you optimize your browser by going to this link.

It is also recommend that you upgrade your browser to a higher version to get the best experience with Outlook.com. To upgrade your browser, please follow this link.

Now, after you have done the steps above, try to access your account by going to this link http://mail.live.com

If issue persists, please try to access your account using a different browser or computer to isolate the issue.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lindy2262,

It is possible that you are experiencing this issue because of your browser.  We suggest that you optimize your browser by going to this link.

It is also recommend that you upgrade your browser to a higher version to get the best experience with Outlook.com. To upgrade your browser, please follow this link.

Now, after you have done the steps above, try to access your account by going to this link http://mail.live.com

If issue persists, please try to access your account using a different browser or computer to isolate the issue.

Thank you.

Hi Yes I could update from IE8 to IE9 but I understand that IE9 has some difficulties in downloading PDF files

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2020 Views 46,969 Applies to: