Can't delete hotmail/outlook account. Please help.

I've been to the 'Close your Microsoft account' page and put in the password to verify my email. Then, it brings me to a page saying:

• You need to deactivate your Hotmail account. Once you've done that, your Microsoft account will be closed automatically after a period of inactivity.
So I click the link given to do so, and it tells me "This option isn't available for your account" and sometimes it says something about the server and to try again later. I've tried to delete my account many times.

I just want to delete my account and say good riddance. Is there any Microsoft representative that can help me with this issue?

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2018 Views 3,207 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please open a secure, private support case by selecting the appropriate option on this page: Windows Live ID Support. There is no more anyone can do at this site.

When you've successfully submitted a support request, please reply to this message saying so. If you're reading this in an email notification, click the title of your question to return to the site to reply.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in this forum. I understand that you're having trouble in closing your account. Let me go ahead and assist you in closing your Microsoft account.

In addition to Community Moderator Firedog's post, in order for us to assist you in closing your account, please provide us the email account that you wish to close along with the PUID to prove your ownership of the account.

To get the PUID please click the link shown below:

1. Proceed to this link https://account.live.com/EditProf.aspx

2. Log in to your account if you are not logged in

3. Your PUID is just at the bottom part of the Personal info page.

I've provided a private message where you can put the email address and other personal information. Please make sure that you are currently signed in to view the private message and reply on this post to notify us. The conversation in the private message area is secure. Only you and our moderators can view it.

Note: You can open the private message by clicking the red link above your post that says

"You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section."

If you have other concerns or questions, please feel free to ask. We are happy to help you with your Microsoft concerns.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have the same problem. When I click on "deactivate account", I get redirected to msn.com, without anything getting deactivated. This is so frustrating! I have been trying for months now and sent several private forms to microsoft. Please create a "private message" for me as well or give me a way to have my hotmail account manually deleted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ommanipadmehum1,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and I understand that you are also unable to close your account in a timely manner. Since you mentioned that you are being redirected to MSN.com, then it is likely due to your browser's cookies/cache.

For this matter, I'd like you to try clearing the cookies/cache for isolation:

• For Internet Explorer browser: Press Ctrl+Shift+Del simultaneously, check the box of information you want to delete from the web browser, and click Delete.
  • For Google Chrome: Press Ctrl+Shift+Del simultaneously and click Clear Browsing Data.
  • For Firefox: Press Ctrl+Shift+Del simultaneously and click Clear Now.

Let us know if you can now proceed in closing your account. But if the issue persists, kindly provide the affected email address that you want to close and its PUID (Personal Unique Identifier) for investigation.

Please click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post wherein you can provide the additional information for privacy. Note that you need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community forum to view the link.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ophelia,

Thank you for getting back to us and for providing additional information. After checking your account details, I recommend that you post your concern here and select "I need help closing my account" to get a further assitance in closing your account.

Should you have any other concerns, please let us know.

Regards,

Grace

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't delete my Hotmail/outlook account. when I tried to delete it said I had to deactivate my Hotmail, I clicked the link to deactivate filled the reason why I want to delete it and it tells me when I finished that I can't delete can anyone help because its getting frustrating and I've been trying to delete it for a long time....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi angelmori,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Let me assist your concern on closing your account. We need to check your account for possible active subscriptions. Please reply with your email address and we'll check the status of your account. Also, we need you to provide us the unique identifier of your account. The unique identifier (ID) is a 64-bit number that Windows Live assigns to you at registration.

Please reply with the required information in the private message that we have provided. Make sure you're signed in to this thread to see the private message tab.

We are looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having the exact same problem for a while now. It's very frustrating! Now instead of getting the message "This option isn't available for your account", I just get redirected to the MSN homepage - and of course nothing is being deactivated! Please help me in this matter, it has been going on for too long! 
I can provide you with my email and PUID as soon as you request them by "private message" or any other means.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi NefeliV,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. First, we apologize for the delayed response.

I understand that you're unable to close your account due to error message. Let me assist you with this.

Please provide us your affected email address and PUID (Personal Unique Identification) in the private message area for investigation purposes. You may refer to the private message tab  or you need to click the notification that states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section.", be sure that you are signed in to view my message.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Grace

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nefeliv,

We apologize if we are not able to respond in a timely manner. At this point, we have checked your account and determined that you need to contact our Microsoft Account for better assistance. Issues like these would require sensitive information. You would need to create a support request by going to our secure e-form via this link.

If you have further question, please do not hesitate to post back.

Regards,

Johayber T.

Sorry this didn't help.