Yahoo.com Mail with Outlook 2016

I have a yahoo mail acct that I created a very long time ago. Instead of my Yahoo email being my User ID...back when I created the acct....I have jsut a neame as my User ID. Trying to set up the acct in Outlook 2016....in the User ID if I just insert the Name I use...Outlook rejects it because it is not an Invalid email address. I did researc at Yahoo...it referred to generating a 3rd party App Password...which I tried to do...the Password it generated was a 16 alpha password with spaces between every 4 letters...still Outlook would NOT setup my Yahoo Mail acct.

Any assistance to get my Yahoo Mail acct created in Outlook 2016 wil be appreciated....

Hello denmarfl01

Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today.

Am a little unclear about your description, specifically as it applies to your Yahoo <UserID>.

To confirm, you are saying that the login ID used to access this account is NOT an email address - am I understanding that correctly?

If yes, you will need to configure this account using the Control Panel <Mail> app which allows a non email address to be used as the login ID but you would still need to use a valid current Yahoo <App Password> as the password for the email account

-------------------
a) - With Outlook closed open the Control Panel <Mail> app

Just in case you need info regarding how to access the Control Panel Mail app, that's described in the following article by Outlook MVP Diane Poremsky

Where is the Control Panel Mail icon?
https://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/where-...

If using Windows 11

How to Open Control Panel in Windows 11
https://www.lifewire.com/open-control-panel-in-...

b) - Click <Email Accounts> --> will default to the <Email> tab
c) - Click on <New>
d( - proceed accordingly

Required Forum Disclaimer: The above links are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

---------------------
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I created the Yahoo acct using as my ID an 8 Letter nickname....as opposed to using the my Yahoo email ....

With Outlook closed, I went to Control panel, clicked MAIL....selected the email accounts tab (there were Tabs Data Files and Profiles so you can know I had the correct Window Opened)....I selected NEW on the next Window, I entered my Name, I entered my 8 alpha ID in the Box shown as E-Mail Address, entered my Password Twice....the NEXT button on that window would not become active....so I could not proceed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would suggest configuring the account manually instead of letting Outlook configure it automatically. Am not quite sure if the auto-configuration process accepts a non-email address user-id

Just to be sure, you need to use the Yahoo <App Password> as the account email password. Also, when configuring the account manually, be sure to set our Outbound server to authenticate against the Inbound server

IMAP server settings for Yahoo Mail
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

POP access settings and instructions for Yahoo Mail
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

Required Forum Disclaimer: The above links are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 462 Applies to: