Why are spam and phishing emails still flooding the internet

With vast amounts of spam and phishing emails flooding the internet every day, I cannot help but wonder why Microsoft, Google, Apple and others have not put a stop to it. The cost of these nefarious intrusions into our lives runs into millions of dollars, never mind the inconvenience and time wasted in disposing of them. While Microsoft Outlook, for example, may not know the identity of a perpetrator, they most certainly have the ability to track down the source of their email i.e. outgoing SMTP server’s IP address. Having this information gives Microsoft and others huge leverage and I cannot imagine any SMTP server worldwide who would not close a spammer’s account when threatened with being blacklisted and rendered incapable of operating effectively on the internet.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying the resolution to this problem, in which case I would love to hear from someone  who can explain why the ‘big guys’ cannot or are not willing to put an end to spam and phishing emails.

|

Hello fuddle-duddle,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist.

We are looking into your situation and we need some time to do further research on this. Will update the thread shortly.

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi fuddle-duddle,

Good day.

Hope you are doing well you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand your frustration with spam and phishing emails. They are indeed a serious problem that affects millions of people every day. However, there is no easy or definitive solution to stop them completely.

Here are some of the reasons why:

• Spammers use various techniques to hide or spoof their email addresses and IP addresses, making it difficult to trace them back to their source. For example, they may use compromised computers or servers as proxies, or they may use disposable or fake email accounts that are hard to link to their real identity.

• Spammers constantly change their tactics and methods to evade detection and filtering by email providers and security software. For example, they may use different subject lines, body text, attachments, or links to avoid being flagged as spam they may also use social engineering techniques to trick recipients into opening or responding to their messages.

• Spammers operate across different jurisdictions and countries, making it challenging to enforce legal actions or sanctions against them.For example, some countries may have lax or nonexistent laws or regulations against spamming, or they may not cooperate with other countries in investigating or prosecuting spammers.

• Spammers have financial incentives to continue their activities, as they can make money from selling products or services, stealing personal or financial information, or infecting computers with malware Even if a small percentage of recipients fall for their scams, they can still profit from their large-scale operations.

These are some of the reasons why spam and phishing emails are still prevalent, despite the efforts of email providers and security companies to combat them. However, this does not mean that you are helpless against them. There are some steps that you can take to protect yourself and reduce the amount of spam and phishing emails that you receive. For example, you can:

• Use the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Outlook, which automatically evaluates incoming messages and sends those identified as spam to the Junk E-mail folder. You can also adjust the level of protection and customize the filter settings according to your preferences.

• Block spam email addresses or domains that you do not want to receive messages from. You can also use an email alias or a secondary email address for signing up for online services or newsletters, and keep your main email address private.

• Report suspicious messages as spam or phishing to your email provider or security software. This can help them improve their detection and filtering capabilities, and also alert other users of potential threats.

• Remove your email address from data broker lists, which are databases that collect and sell personal information to third parties, including spammers. You can use online tools or services that can help you find and delete your email address from these lists.

• Spot the signs of a phishing email, such as unfamiliar or mismatched sender names, email addresses, or links, grammar and spelling errors, sense of urgency, requests for personal or financial information, or attachments that you are not expecting. Do not open, click, or reply to these messages, and delete them immediately.

• Unsubscribe from unwanted mailing lists or newsletters that you no longer want to receive. However, be careful not to click on any links or buttons that may actually be phishing attempts. Instead, look for a legitimate unsubscribe option in the email header or footer, or use a third-party service that can help you manage your subscriptions.

• Turn off “auto-load” for images in your email settings, which can prevent spammers from tracking whether you have opened their messages or not. You can also block or disable other external content, such as scripts or web beacons, that may be used for tracking or malicious purposes.

• Scan the Dark Web for your email address, which can help you find out if your email address or other personal information has been compromised or leaked in a data breach. You can use online tools or services that can help you monitor and protect your online identity.

In addition, here's the official instructions for reporting the spam - How do I report a suspicious email or file to Microsoft?

Thanks for your precious time and your understanding would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a lot of problems with bingo and gambling emails/advertisements now every single time I go into my email account. I had major problems for months also with emails trying to make you claim for an injury or car accidents or emails about debts etc and had to keep on blocking them for months. What on earth is going on in Microsoft and it definitely started not long after I stopped allowing them access to my data or all of the cookies etc.. At one stage I was getting questioned by someone or a bot maybe asking me annoying questions or feed back or something weird. It took me ages to go into the settings and get that stopped. How can microsoft justify trying to encourage gambling etc and you cannot even block the emails/advertisements. When I try to block these gambling adverts, I get a message telling me to go into my settings and choose what I am interested in instead. In other words it is a punishment for me for either not giving access to all cookies etc or just wanting a normal account with no office etc etc. I also have problems now when I am trying to sign into my account and they keep taking me to a microsoft account page and not to my email account and suggesting an Office account etc.. I am left sitting in this Microsoft account page and I cannot get into my email account that I signed into, I get annoyed and just delete the page and then and only then my email account appears suddenly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 123 Applies to: