Which is the best default data file?

I'm using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 PC with my Apple (iCloud) email account.  I recently had to change my iCloud password, which in turn revoked the app-specific password for Outlook causing syncing with iCloud to stop working.  In order to fix this I had to delete the iCloud email account from Outlook and re-add using a new app-specific password.  That re-established syncing with iCloud again.

I noticed that this change caused Outlook to automatically choose an archive.pst data file as the default (see image below). My question is whether that's the best choice.  (Since all my email accounts are IMAP accounts maybe it doesn't matter.) 

Thanks in advance,

Bob

|
Answer
Answer

Hello randers4,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

I'm sorry to learn that you have encountered this series of problems, and your efforts and positive attitude towards problem-solving deserve encouragement.

In your description, I understand that you seem to have some doubts about Outlook automatically selecting the archive.pst data file as the default file, and we understand your doubts.

Rest assured, this is a suitable choice, but you need to pay attention to maintaining the size of the pst file. It is recommended to export and backup regularly to maintain the size of the pst file, which can help maintain the stability of the data structure. And this can reduce the load time and response time of Outlook, and reduce the risk of file corruption.

Thank you for your contribution to the Microsoft community. I hope the above can reduce your concerns. If you have any other doubts or concerns, please reply to me!

I hope you are well!

Best Regards ,

Morning | Microsoft Technical Support Community 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 59 Applies to: