Unable to sync outlook email on Windows Phone (error 86000C0A) or Windows 8.1 Mail app ("not available")

A few weeks ago my Windows Phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 620) began popping up error 86000C0A every time I tried to check my email. I have @Outlook.com email, and it has been working perfectly well up until now. I can access my emails and everything via browser, but Windows Phone and Windows 8.1 Mail apps (on my PC and on my Asus tablet) refuse to sync, saying *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is unavailable.

I don't know what's happening but I know that it's driving me crazy. I haven't made any significant changes to my account, except trying to change the password, hoping it would help. It didn't help. I have two-step verification activated but I had it active long before this error started showing up.

My Microsoft Account (including my @outlook.com email) is the only email I have set up on my phone. During error 86000C0A email sync is impossible but calendar and contacts sync just fine.

I tried calling Microsoft Support in Croatia and they told me they don't provide help for that kind of issue. I Binged and Googled and Yahooed this error and the ONLY solution I found is changing something somewhere in Active Directory Users and Computers, ticking a box that say allow inheritable something... I have no access to that. I am in no domain, no enterprise or company, this is a private account and I'm just an end user. So please, no "solutions" like "go to Active Directory Users and Computers and allow inheritable permissions" because I CANNOT do that. I'm running plain old simple Windows 8.1 on my PC and on my tablet, no server versions.

Anyone? Please, help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Exactly the same almost 14 days: 2 Live accounts, each sync error 86000C0A on Lumia 920, each service isn't available in Windows 8.1 "touch" Email application. These errors appear many times per day. Live accounts connected via Outlook Connector (Outlook 2007) seem to work correctly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Exactly the same almost 14 days: 2 Live accounts, each sync error 86000C0A on Lumia 920, each service isn't available in Windows 8.1 "touch" Email application. These errors appear many times per day. Live accounts connected via Outlook Connector (Outlook 2007) seem to work correctly.

What's even worse, these apps (Windows Phone, Mail app) do sync every now and then. For example, I've been out of town for 2 weeks and the Mail app on my PC says it last synced 17 days ago, even though there are fresh emails in there, from today. :S So it works... Sometimes. But I cannot send emails using Mail on my PC.

What a mess! :S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Following a suggestion by someone somewhere to deactivate SMS and chat backup on the phone I did just that and the error is now gone. :) And even Mail apps on my Windows 8.1 devices began syncing normally. Try deactivating SMS backup and leave it be for a while (for me it didn't do trick immediately, but I was to **SG#FDG off by everything I set the phone aside and forgot about it, and when I checked it later everything was fine).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Following a suggestion by someone somewhere to deactivate SMS and chat backup on the phone I did just that and the error is now gone. :) And even Mail apps on my Windows 8.1 devices began syncing normally. Try deactivating SMS backup and leave it be for a while (for me it didn't do trick immediately, but I was to **SG#FDG off by everything I set the phone aside and forgot about it, and when I checked it later everything was fine).

Did not work for me. Another thread recommended adding your mail address again as a separate non-linked box.  This has worked - it seemes to use your provider's servers rather than hotmail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, this was helpful. Both accounts synced correctly after a while. When I tried to activate SMS backup again, I got the same error after 3 days. It seems to me SMS backup should be permanently deactivated. SMS backup function is unusable. I hope Microsoft is going to correct it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First day after deactivating SMS backup email syncing was very intermittent and unstable but it stabilized after awhile and now it works. I won't be reactivating backup anytime soon, not until Microsoft fixes this mess. :S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I got another email sync error 85002012 as a complement to 86000C0A in my Windows Phone during email sync and Windows 8.1 Mail application didn't work correctly again. The solution is to disable Chat Backup in Windows Phone. After a while email sync works correctly again. Both backups - SMS & Chat - have to be disabled in Windows Phone to Windows Live emails synchronized without sync errors?!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Currently the best cure is to disable SMS and Chat backup, as it seems. I can vouch for it being 95% effective, only sometimes Windows 8.1 Mail app starts acting again but for a short while only. And more and more people are contacting me lately with the same problem, it's amazing how this is spreading like a disease. :S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It worked for me:

1) Soft reset the phone: press and hold Volume Down + Power button during 12 seconds

2) Open Internet Explorer (from phone) > go to http://account.live.com > sign in with the microsoft account we cannot sync on the phone.

3) Come back to the start screen

4) Go to settings > email and account > press and hold the account > tap on sync

or Go to settings > email and account > add an account > microsoft account

Luka.

click on "me too" if you found my answer useful
pulsa "yo también" si la respuesta te ha sido útil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar issue 800c0008 error with outlook on windows phone 8.1 refusing to sync and OneDrive not working. I used the browser to access outlook or told me a problem had occurred but still allowed me t check mail. Then it told me that some conditions had changed (didn't let me read them) and I pressed the continue buttons expecting some t&cs to appear. It just took M to my inbox. Since clicking continue, outlook mail syncs fine on the phone.

All I can surmise is that outlook will not sync until it has told you that some t&cs have changed and you have pressed the continue button.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 4,974 Applies to: