Unable to configure Telus.net/Gmail account with Outlook

Working with a business client that needs access to their telus.net(Gmail) email on their PC with Win10Pro Office 365 Outlook, but we can't get the account to work with Outlook.  The Outlook 'About' shows: Microsoft Outlook for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.13029.20342) 64-bit.

Attempting to configure the account using Outlook, Account Settings, setup account manually, with either Google or IMAP choice results in the Server pointing to imap.telus.net (which doesn't work since it needs to point to imap.gmail.com).

Using Control Panel, Mail lets us configure the account successfully - we get the two green check marks, but when we open Outlook we get the smaller window prompting for the Gmail credentials.  That fails with the message:  Can't reach this page.  Make sure the web address https://accounts.google.com is correct

That address is reachable via web browser and allows login.  

Google/Gmail support - not reachable
Telus support says 'not their problem', must be Microsoft or Gmail problem

Client also has a Win10Pro laptop with the same Microsoft 365/Outlook where we were able to successfully configure this Telus/Gmail account with no problem.

Microsoft support says fix is to have customer move their Telus.net email from Gmail to Microsoft.  I don't think that's possible.
We're looking for a different answer..  Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Hi ftcnet,

Good day to you.

Since you mentioned "Client also has a Win10Pro laptop with the same Microsoft 365/Outlook where we were able to successfully configure this Telus/Gmail account with no problem.", you can try to clear the related credentials in this affected PC to see if there is any improvement:

1. Close Outlook.

2. Type credential manager in computer search box to open the Credential Manager.

3. Under the Generic Credentials, delete the entries which contain "Outlook" or “MicrosoftOffice16" in its name, you can even delete all the entries if you like.

4. Close the Credential Manager and restart your Outlook.  

If the issue persists, to provide further assistance, we’d like to know if the process of configuration is the same include IMAP email settings. Besides, please also capture the screenshot about error message.

Looking forward to your update and we’ll always be here for you.

Regards,

Joey

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your fast reply.  I do recall the MS support tech did have me open Credentials Manager and clear all credentials with 'Outlook' or 'Microsoft', but the same problem persists (where we still get the Gmail credentials pop-up window that fails to access  accounts.google.com).

MS support tech also had me create a new Outlook profile, but no change.  We also created a new Windows user  (with admin privs), but no change there either.  We also searched the registry for the user email address, but it only appears in a few places where it is expected.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey not sure if you ever found your answer but here's my take on it. It just doesn't work.
My client just had the migration done and while we can log into the web ui, log into the account on ios devices and I added the account to the Mail app that's built into Windows 10. All successful.

When trying to set the account up in Outlook, the Test account setting is constantly failing.

It looks like they're pushing G-Suite sync for Microsoft Outlook for these types of accounts so you either need to install that or use the built in mail app.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 2,326 Applies to: