Unable to add shared mailbox in New outlook for Mac - Workaround Found

Workaround: Send a test email to your shared inbox from New Outlook. This populates the address locally, which allows you to find it when trying to add the shared inbox.

I, like many others, have been unable to add a shared inbox from Microsoft 365 to Outlook for Mac via the new interface.

Both the "Delegate and sharing" under my account, and the "Open a Shared Inbox" under Tools>Accounts did not function for all but, strangely enough, one of my shared inboxes.

I spent an hour on the phone with Dale from Microsoft Support last night, working through permissions, settings, outlook.com web, and old outlook. Both legacy Outlook and outlook.com were able to add the additional inboxes, but no luck with new Outlook.

But then I had a eureka moment this morning...

I realized, the only shared inbox I was able to add to New Outlook, was one I had sent a test email to, to verify it was working. This caused it to show up in the list of available inboxes. Strangely, I had also sent an email to info@chemex, which when I searched for an "info" shared inbox I own, that showed up in the list.

This led me to sending a test message to all my shared inboxes. As a result, I was able to add them all in the new Outlook for Mac.

It seems like the "Shared Inbox" function is not correctly connecting to the M365 service to populate the list of available inboxes in New Outlook, and it doesn't have the same option to force it that old outlook and outlook.com do. Add back the "use <email>" option when no search results are found, and it should fix this.

Good luck!
-Patrick
Elliot Pointe Technology

Dear Patrick Bergstrom

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you!

Based on your description, many users have reported this issue, so thank you very much for your contribution! At the same time, I also believe that this is the voice of many users, everyone is anxiously looking forward to early improvement, in order not to waste more time, better help you, I strongly recommend that you report this problem and solution to Outlook feedback, so that relevant technical developers and designers can see your valuable suggestions. Please believe that the relevant departments of Microsoft will strive to improve themselves after seeing your valuable suggestions, and your valuable opinions will also help more users and make the work more efficient.

About how to give feedback to outlook, please kindly refer to: provide feedback, go to Help > suggest a feature.

In the meantime, you can also use this link to see if the feature you want to implement is already being developed by Microsoft, click on it to get the development progress: Microsoft 365 roadmap

Thanks in advance for your understanding! Your patience and cooperation will be highly appreciated. Hope you all the best!

Sincerely,

Kerry Chen | Microsoft Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 1,868 Applies to: