Syncing contacts and calendars with iTunes - going away?

iTunes 12.11.3.17 now displaying message that "Support for syncing contacts and calendars has been deprecated and will be removed in a future version of iTunes." How do I sync my Outlook 2016 Contacts and Calendars with my iPhone SE2020?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mikie,

I'm Diane, an Office Apps & Services MVP specializing in Outlook and an Independent Advisor. I will help you with this issue.

You can use iTunes as long as it still works - then will need to either use the iCloud addin (or another 3rd party utility) or an outlook.com or other Microsoft exchange account to store and sync the calendar and contacts.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Diane:

As usual, thank you for your information.  I've been syncing Outlook calendar on Windows 10 with my iPhone calendar.  I tried to sync using iCloud for Windows some years ago.  The problem is that you end up with duplicate entries because you have 3 calendars that you're syncing (Outlook, iPhone, & iCloud).

I fear this will end up being a disaster.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diane. Thank you for your response to the above question.

I just want to put this out there for others like myself. I've used the iCloud addin previously It completely messes with my calendar and contacts (duplicating entries, cancelling appointment, losing contacts or changing information between contacts). I would have to routinely disable the addin and re-enable it. Thus the reason I don't use it anymore and connect through iTunes. I suppose I will just look for another device and software, not from Microsoft, to use.  This makes my life a whole lot harder as I'll have to export all my data and then import it to other software database. 

Ruth

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MikieL58, have you considered 3rd-party alternatives? From what I've researched it appears CopyTrans also claims they can import iPhone contacts into Outlook (with the thingy called CopyTrans Contacts?). I haven't tried it yet, though.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A short-term solution will be to not allow iTunes to update to any future edition.  I saw this notice as well and immediately turned off automatic downloading and installing of updated versions (which, of course, is the default setting.)  I'm going to try and find a full download of the installer for the current version.  I am concerned that if I get a new computer in the future and install iTunes, it will be a basic installer file that will go get the most recent version of iTunes.  Another reason among many that the iPhone is the only Apple product I will ever own.  I am a little surprised they even put a warning in there rather than just quietly no longer supporting it.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, we need a supported solution. I would pay money for a permanent solution that would allow me to sync my MS Outlook on my MS Windows desktop (yes, I still prefer my desktop with a 27" screen and full keyboard) to my iPhone 12 contacts and calendar. HELP!

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

+1 I would as well

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is Microsoft going to make a product to do this. There are a lot of iPhones and PCs that need to be able to sync

contacts and calendar.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Diane is the greatest. I've used her replies and suggestions in the past. Thank you, Diane.

iTunes has been problematic for me for the last year, sometimes not working at all for even backups, and failing to sync contacts and calendars with Outlook.

I, too, have experienced data corruption, duplication, and other problems trying to use the iCloud to sync with Outlook. In addition, I keep lots of private information in my contacts, and having a copy on the cloud is not acceptable.

I (and some friends and relatives) now use akrutosync, which does not keep copies of the data on the cloud. On the plus side, it works great and in the few cases of technical issues, their support is swift and very good. It can sync using wi-fi or over the internet, but in neither case is it storing information anywhere other than in Outlook or on my iPhone. On the minus side, it is not free (as iTunes has been) - but the cost is quite reasonable.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, MattMetz1.

I too, think Diane Poremsky is fantastic. She's been an MVP over 20 years. Thank you for you mentioning akrutosync. I'll take a look at it.

I only sync my calendar to my iPhone, but it seems that akrutosync will do that. They advertise that no data goes to the cloud, but that is also true with iTunes. i.e. it is why I prefer iTunes to iCloud.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 4,316 Applies to: