Sweep, rules, and other functions not working

For the past month or so I have been having problems with setting up rules. It stopped working after I was working with some rules. Now my sweep function does not work and I often get random errors when opening e-mails. the error always says the same thing "oops something happened on our end..." it says refresh or close the browser but the problem persists.

The problem occurs across all common browser platforms (Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox and Safari I have them all because I like to test my web pages on different platforms)) and on any other of the 3 computers I I use (2 desktops and a lap top, curiously all HP). So the problem must be server side. It also only occurs when using my personal webmail, Now I have converted to client side Outlook 2016 (my current version) but I will need to go in and delete all of my old rules before setting up new ones on my end again. (BTW why don't categories and rules transfer like folders, contacts and other aspect from the online version?)

I would prefer to use the webmail because the Outlook app does not have the cleanup functions available online (specifically the Sweep function which I love)... unless some one tell me where they are, because I haven't found them.

I have another outlook web account through my school which works just fine. So why is my personal account the only one affected. 

Note: steps I have taken to solve the problem include clearing the cache, and all browsing history and cookies. Nothing has worked yet

I am running Win 10 since the inception back in October but the problem is much more recent than that and that only applies to two of the three computers I use. My work system is still using Win 7.  Since this is a web based problem I can't see how the operating could be the issue.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem or problems?

Hi,

Thank you for your query on Microsoft Community.

To remove all the rules I would suggest you follow the steps below:

Follow the steps below:

Login to https://outlook.com/ through the web browser and click on the Gear (settings) icon.

If you see Outlook.com (Preview) interface, then follow the steps below: 

1. Click on the Gear (Settings) icon on the upper-right corner of the Window and then select Option.

2. On the left pane, expand Mail and then select Inbox and Sweep Rules.

If you see Outlook.com interface, then follow the steps below: 

1. Select Manage Rules.

2. You will see all the rules that you have set up, click on the Delete rule icon next to each rule to remove the rules.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've followed the steps you outlined Jesinta as I am having the same problem as Profpaul. I'm including some screenshots. I can't even get to the page to manage rules. This problem has only been happening for the last week or so. It happens in any browser.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Jesinta - how does removing the rules fix them?

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2023 Views 1,811 Applies to: