Setting Up Outlook 365 for Multiple Email Accounts

I am currently using Outlook 2007 for several email accounts. But I am in the process of setting up a new computer to retire the old one, and I have subscribed to Office 365.

One of the features of Outlook 2007 that I really like is the combined inbox for all email accounts. I see that Microsoft changed to a separate inbox for each email account in subsequent versions.

But I do want the email accounts to be in a specific order on the new computer, where my default email is listed first and is active at start up of the program. NOTE: my default email account is NOT the email account that has the Office 365 subscription.

So my question is, do I have to set the email accounts up in the order I want the inboxes listed, or can I re-order them inside of the Outlook 365 program?

Also, FYI, I store my emails / contacts / calendar / etc locally on my hard drive in Outlook 2007. So my plan on the new computer is to set up those accounts and then import the PST file, and then sync everything to the account so that switching computers in the future will be much simpler. I doubt if this has any bearing on my question, but I give this info just in case it matters.

Thank you

|

You cannot combine email addresses to use the same data file unless they are pop mail accounts

You do NOT export a pst or Import as that loses both settings and data.

Using pop mail accounts is by todays standards unusual, if nothing else it means you cannot sync the mail accounts on any other devices

IMAP syncs mail only

For full sync you need an exchange mail account, outlook.com is such, and is free.

You can set any mail address as the default and you can list the others as req

Basicaly on the old PC, with OL closed you copy the pst to a memory stick, then from that to \My Douments\ on the new.

Then in MS Outlook > File Import & export > Open data file, pst, The data file will appear in the tree view pane of OL, you can then deal with its contents as needed

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello ALG50, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Deen and I'm happy to help. When you do sign up on outlook on your new computer, to change the account order you: 1) Open Outlook and collapse all the accounts so that only the account names are visible. To collapse accounts, select the arrow to the left of the account name. 2) Click and hold the account you want to move and then drag the account up or down to a different position. 3) Close and reopen Outlook. The email accounts are sorted in the order you set. Let me know if you need more help. Regards, Deen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Palcouk, that was useful.

In the past, I have always imported the PST file, and never have done an export. Purely by luck and certainly I did not know that I would have lost settings if I had exported. So that is extremely useful information.

The crash course on IMAP vs POP as it relates to Outlook was also very good and useful information. Thank you.

I will use your information and cautions when I set up my accounts on the new computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Dean. I was hoping it would be a simple as that. Not sure when I will move everything to the new computer but it looks like it will be a pretty simple process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The method to reorder the accounts described above does not appear to work in New Outlook. Is there another method for the application?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 202 Applies to: