Sent folder not showing all sent items

I cannot determine a pattern to the error, it seems like Outlook randomly chooses sent emails to not appear in my sent folder when searched for.

For example, despite emailing an individual multiple times over the past week, when I search their email or name in the sent folder, only the first email I sent appears. Sometimes when I search for an individual, despite emailing them several times, no emails appear.

If I scroll through the sent folder without using the search function and just use the "Filter" "Arrange By" and "Sort" features, the emails show. The issue seems to be solely with the search function.

This issue first appeared the last week of December. This is in an office and is affecting multiple deceives that use different emails addresses.

In trying to troubleshoot this issue, I found a common problem is the checkbox "Save copies of messages in the Sent Items folder" is left unchecked, for our issue this is not the case.

Hi Sue_D

Greetings

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

What account are you using in your Outlook? IMAP/POP/Exchange account.

Kindly confirm if this occurs when using Outlook on the web too? To check please visit https://outlook.office.com

This will help narrow down the issue.

Please try and verify if indexing is complete.

# Start Outlook and click the search box.

# Select Search tools > indexing Status from the search menu.

# When the Indexing Status dialogue appears, you should see the following:

If Outlook has not finished indexing, wait for it to finish and once done try to search again.

Kindly create a new Outlook profile and check to see if the issue occurs too, for instructions you may refer to Create an Outlook profile (microsoft.com)

Please feel free to let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Momo

Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We are using POP/SMTP accounts.

We do not use the web version of Outlook. I have been asked to only use the desktop application and do not have access my accounts on the web version.

Under Search in Outlook Options, I selected Indexing Options which told me "Indexing Complete".

The issue seems to have resolved itself, however this has happened twice in the past 6 months where this exact problems seems to disappear only to reappear later.

If there is a way to change my settings to proactively protect against this again in the future, any information would be great. Otherwise, it seems to be solved for now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 1,066 Applies to: