Removing Outlook Calendar Spam Invitations

Over the weekend I received two obvious spam email that I immediately deleted.  After a couple of nights of late night meeting reminders.  I discovered the tentative meeting invites in my calendar from the emails I deleted.  every day for the next year (or at least that is as far as I checked).  Up until this point I never even heard of email spam.   I don't actually use the calendar feature in outlook.  I have been very careful not to click on any of the links in the invite.  When I hover over the meeting and the Outlook calendar options menu opens the "Delete Meeting" & "Delete Series" links are not active.

Very simple how can I delete the messages or How can I disable the calendar features?

Thanks

Mark  

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2019 Views 15,519 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I've been receiving these spam appointments, as well.  I"m only aware of two options, neither of which is ideal

The first option is to delete the series, but making sure in the process you don't send the spammer a response  (that will simply allow the spammer to validate your email and you will likely recieve more spam). To  do this hover your mouse over one of the spam calendar appointments, right click for the pop-up menu, and under "Series" select "do not send a response." The entire series will be deleted.  The problem with this approach is that you have to go through this process every time you receive the spam calendar appointment, and every time you have to make sure you don't send the spammer a response. This is a huge vulnerability.

The second option is to remove the automatic meeting request processing in Outlook. This will prevent the meeting from showing up on your calendar in the first place. You can then delete the spam email in your inbox or mark it as spam as you normally would. While this is a much more secure method, it also means that NONE of your meeting requests - -including all the legitimate ones - -will be processed unless you click "accept" in the initial email invitation. And if you're someone who lives by your Outlook calendar and depends on the automatic processing of invitations, there is a high likelihood you will miss a meeting or two (I have learned this the hard way) . To do this.

1. In Outlook, go to File>Options
  2. In the options menu, select Mail
  3. In the Mail menu, scroll down to the section "Tracking"
  4. Under "Tracking" deselect the option "Automatically process meeting requests and responses to meeting requests and polls"

Again, neither option is ideal, but either will work.

70 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.