Recover Deleted Hotmail Account

Greetings,

I was updating my Microsoft Account 1 week ago (March 25) to add a new email account.  During that process, my main email account - which is a hotmail account - was accidentally deleted.  We did not intend for this account to be deleted, only to add another email to the profile, however in the process the hotmail account was apparently deleted as part of a removal step.

We have tried using the Live recover form, however it is stating that the hotmail.com does not exist as an account.  We are not able to recreate this account (we have tried as a test).  We have tried emailing this account, and all emails are coming back with the same error, the account does not exist.

Since it has been within the 60 day timeframe, we should be able to reactivate the hotmail account in question, correct?

I still see the existing emails up to the time of account deletion in my Outlook view within my Microsoft account, and it is very important we do not lose those emails.  Hoping the hotmail account can be restored to just pickup where it left off.  

How can we reach someone who can restore this account for us, or what should we take as a next step?  We are not able to use the email support option from the virtual agent process, as the email account does not exist.  

Email account and contact number not provided here based on community warning provided.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or advice!

Update: As of Summer 2019, it is not possible to recover accidentally deleted aliases. The addresses can never be reused or "recycled" by anyone. If you ignore the warning when deleting the address, Microsoft support will not be able to add the address back for you. 

You can vote for (and comment on) this suggestion in uservoice. That is the best way to show the product team that this is a needed feature.  
Recover deleted outlook.com aliases 

Hi Tonya,
Did you actually close the account or just delete/remove the email address from the account?

If you removed the address from the account, Some people have had luck adding it back to the same account as an alias - try that first then use the contact links at the bottom of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429/... to request help from microsoft account support - they will be able to add it back to the account if it was removed as an alias within the last 30 days.

Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Diane,

Many thanks for your quick assistance!  Adding as an alias unfortunately did not work for me, but I was able to submit a support ticket to Microsoft and I've asked them to add this account back.  Hoping to hear good news soon!

Many thanks,

Tonya

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I fully expect you will hear good news.... as they can and will restore the addresses as long as you request it within 30 days of deleting it.

I wish they'd make recovery self-service, even if only for a few days, as most people realize pretty quickly that they made a mistake.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings,

I was updating my Microsoft Account 1 week ago (March 25) to add a new email account.  During that process, my main email account - which is a hotmail account - was accidentally deleted.  We did not intend for this account to be deleted, only to add another email to the profile, however in the process the hotmail account was apparently deleted as part of a removal step.

We have tried using the Live recover form, however it is stating that the hotmail.com does not exist as an account.  We are not able to recreate this account (we have tried as a test).  We have tried emailing this account, and all emails are coming back with the same error, the account does not exist.

Since it has been within the 60 day timeframe, we should be able to reactivate the hotmail account in question, correct?

I still see the existing emails up to the time of account deletion in my Outlook view within my Microsoft account, and it is very important we do not lose those emails.  Hoping the hotmail account can be restored to just pickup where it left off.  

How can we reach someone who can restore this account for us, or what should we take as a next step?  We are not able to use the email support option from the virtual agent process, as the email account does not exist.  

Email account and contact number not provided here based on community warning provided.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or advice!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2020 Views 2,076 Applies to: