Receiving emails intended for someone else (not an address typo)

I have been receiving some emails that are not intended for me but are sent to my email address. I don't believe it is just a mistake from the senders because I have received emails from independent sources that are intended for the same person, which is not me. I don't imagine at least 3 different senders would make the same mistake sending to my email address. The "To:" address is my email address but the contents are meant for someone else.

At first, I thought they were just spam (they weren't anything important) but then I received some messages that seem legitimate and if they were real, the person who is not me should be reading them. It can't be coincidence that several independent senders are emailing the same address and addressing to someone else. Either this person is giving out a wrong email address (claiming my address as his own) or somehow maybe my login is a duplicate of his and we both have the same email address (doesn't seem that should be possible but feels like the situation). I only recently created my account (a few months back) and was surprised the username was available (it was already taken on most other common email services) which is making me think somehow we both could have the same login name or perhaps it used to belong to this other person, he deleted it and then I took it over with my new account. This all seems very puzzling to me. 

Can anyone explain what is going on?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi LargeBlackCoffee,

We sincerely apologize for not being able to answer your concern in a timely manner. We are experiencing high contact volume at this time which has caused our delayed response.

We recommend you to create a rule that can block unwanted/spam emails that were not supposed to be sent to your email address. Here are steps:

1. Sign in to your Outlook.com account with your Microsoft account.
2. In the upper right corner of the page, click on Gear icon -- More mail settings...
3. Under the Customizing Outlook section, choose Rules for sorting new messages.
4. Click on the New button.
5. Under Step 1: Which messages do you want this rule to apply to,
    a. First drop-down menu - choose To/cc address
    b. Second drop-down menu - choose does not contain
    c. Third field - input your email address.

6. Under Step 2: What action do you want to apply, click on Delete these messages-don't even put them in my Deleted folder
7. Click Save button.

If you wish to report abuse against a non-Hotmail account, please refer to the Solution Article below:

How to report Abuse or Spam in Microsoft Hotmail

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This answer is no help , i'm having the same problems receiving somone elses emails which are not spam, how can this be happening - i thought all email addresses were individual for security reasons. i dont want to change mine so please advise.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi carolinejupp,

We take our customers account security seriously. One possible reason why there are cases like this is that the senders mistakenly sent the email to you by entering your email address rather than sending the email to the appropriate recipient.

Example:

The correct recipients address is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and your address is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. The senders might input incorrect domain name.

Other possible reason is your email address was already used before by another user. The old account user deleted the email address and when the email address was available you were able to sign-up with the account. It is possible that the senders was not aware that the email address is already deleted by the old user.

Rest assured that once an email address is already registered no other user can register the same email address.

To stop receiving emails not intented to you, I suggest that you use Blocked senders list to block incoming emails. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. In your Outlook.com Inbox, click the gear icon beside your Profile name.

2. Select Mail more settings.

3. Under Preventing junk email, click Safe and blocked senders.

4. Click Blocked senders.

5. Type in an address or domain in the Blocked e-mail address or domain: field.

6. Click the Add to list >> button.

7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add more entries in the "Blocked senders:" window.

Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem, and if you look for other people there are a few more, but it seems the answer is the same... that they can't be using your same address, and that maybe they made a mistake and put your address in those companies. Which is stupid since many more people are having the same problem.

I'm receiving emails from banks in Colombia about withdrawals, from Directv saying they paid, from mobile phone companies saying they received the payment and even personal emails and work related email that apparently are intended for someone else.

Something is wrong with hotmail (Microsoft -> shocker) and their advice is to block those messages ("we don't know or want to solve it, shove it under the rug")

I can't block messages "to myself" which is something stupid, hence I can't block all messages or I would miss my own real messages...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Luis Daniel Mesa Velásquez,

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Community. 

I understand you are getting emails that are not intended for you.  I have found out that you have posted about the same issue on this thread.

Please refrain from creating posts about the same issue.

Thank you,

Leah V.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll keep posting as long as I need, and when and where I can until this issue is fixed...

If you're not going to help us with this issue that affects several users, not just in my personal and unique case, please "refrain" from telling me what to do...

All I read is "no two accounts can have the same email address" but guess what? people are getting other people's emails =) so if they can't have the same account then maybe someone put a faulty line of code somewhere that sent copies of emails to people for whom the message was not intended.

I've used this same address non-stop since 1998, before Hotmail was acquired by Microsoft.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the last number of weeks. I have received registration emails for Facebook.com, Ask.fm and premierleague.com. I have not joined any of these sites. It appears my email address is being used by another user. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

For this issue, I would like to cite an example as to what a recycled email is:

Let's say I have the email account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, and I have decided to create an alias for it, named *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Then I've decided to delete my alias address. After several months/years, someone took the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** account as a main account. Now, the new owner of the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** account receives emails from my contacts/friends since they still know that it is still my working email. Additionally, if I subscribed to Facebook or any social networking sites, the new owner of that address will likely to receive notification from those sites.

In order to resolve this issue, the best thing to do is to inform those who are sending you messages that you are the new owner of the email. Also, if you have received newsletters, just unsubscribed. While for the social networking sites, you need to contact their support and request your email account to be removed from their system/database.

You may also just block those unwanted messages, which you can do so by doing the previous steps mentioned in this thread.

Should you have other questions regarding to the web based Hotmail/Outlook.com, don't hesitate to post it here in Microsoft Community or you may try to search for an answer via the search function.

Regards,

Francis S.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, you believe that I have taken the email address of a previous user. I have had the same email account for 13 years. It does not make sense to me that this problem should suddenly arise now. I realise I can go to the companies that are sending me the emails but this takes time and is something I don't think I should have to do.

regards,

Joe

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JoeHennessyirl,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I understand that you're receiving emails directed for someone. You mentioned that you've had this email address for thirteen years which would eliminate the possible cause of recycled usernames. In this case, kindly follow Francis_S' suggestion to contact the senders of the emails in order to stop these emails from contacting you since it could be that someone has used your email address for notifications.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 12,062 Applies to: