Problems syncing AOL account with new version of Outlook

I currently use Windows Mail and Calendar to check my AOL e-mail, but I got a notice that Windows Mail is being phased out at the end of 2024, and Outlook is replacing it. So I want to try and sync my AOL account with the new Outlook. I've downloaded it, but it asks for a third-party app password. Whenever I try to generate said app password on AOL, I get the message, "Sorry, but this feature is not available at this time."

Unless I can generate an app password, I cannot sync my AOL e-mail to Outlook. I am aware that the old Outlook is incompatible with AOL, but is this new version usable with AOL e-mail accounts?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello I’m Adeyemi and I’d be happy to help you with your question. Yes, you can use the new version of Outlook with AOL email accounts. However, as you've discovered, you'll need to generate an app password on AOL to do this. Here are the steps: 1. Go to www.aol.com and log into your AOL account 2. Go to Account Info > Account Security 3. Scroll down to "Generate and manage app passwords" 4. Select a name for the app password (for example, "Outlook PC") 5. Copy the generated app password 6. Now go back to Outlook and click "Add Account" 7. Click "Other Account POP, IMAP" and enter your AOL email and the generated app password If you're unable to generate an app password on AOL, it might be due to a temporary issue with AOL's systems. You might want to try again later or reach out to AOL Support for further assistance. Here is a previous thread too: https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/0daed277-a439-45b5-a613-ce7894e896b6 I hope this helps Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below Regards Adeyemi

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

As I said before, I am unable to generate a third-party app password on AOL. I called AOL Support and they said to try again in a few days.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will also suggest you wait for those days and see what the situation will be and share it with us. Regards Adeyemi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally managed to get an app password generated for Outlook today. My e-mail account is now synced to the new app.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this today, after 3 hours of searching for why could not sign in. It worked, however it happened again the same day. I generated another one time code on AOL. Why is this happening in Outlook and what can I do?! I subscribe to MS Office, do I need to figure out how to reinstall the application?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not that this helps you, but I need to bytch.

I have over 40 years of experience in IT..... some little companies that you ALL maybe familiar with, IBM, Compaq Digital HP as a tech lead.

I have also went through all the upgrades and 'ohh this is better' garbage.

And this is the latest BS.

I have been just trying to get my new laptop running window 11 and I have a windows 365.

And AND, any instructions on how to set up my AOL account to use Outlook fails.

And yes I know about the 'special one time password' etc.

All instructions to do anything even in the latest Outlook always calls for going to file.

Fine there isn't that tab.

I unloaded/uninstalled the entire Windows 365/Office package. Or so I thought.

And reloaded from my windows 365 the entire package.

Well AS ALWAYS..... nothing changed.

Now if anyone here has any ideas as to what to do I would be very appreciative.

But this is ridiculous. Ok some special key..... that MS never really told us about. Now, tabs and locations on Outlook that don't exist?

Even with the most recent download from my subscription.

I am seriously considering downloading everything that is in the 'cloud', and cancelling everything.

Sorry for the rant..... but if someone that worked on and with MS starting with DOS (which was stolen) can't figure this stuff out.

Who can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That does not help me. I've done all that. I just cannot get new emails or the ones that I haven't read for a few days. I would hate to have to do all that you suggest again for the 4th time. It would be more helpful to talk to someone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this today, after 3 hours of searching for why could not sign in. It worked, however it happened again the same day. I generated another one time code on AOL. Why is this happening in Outlook and what can I do?! I subscribe to MS Office, do I need to figure out how to reinstall the application?

Hello Bryn,

I am NOT someone associated with MS or doing support or whatever. I do have over 40 years of experience in in IT (retired recently).

Anyway...........

I finally figured out the trick to getting Outlook to behave on my new win 11 laptop Office 365. I used this technique on a Win 10 that was stubborn as well.

All the stuff on the internet how to do this is old, convoluted and just plain wrong. Especially adding and creating a 'new account' and putting the AOL one time password in as you create the new account or trying to modify/add the AOL one time.

Here is what I did:

- I backed up my calendar, contacts and emails to a USB thumb drive or you could dump it to the OneDrive cloud.

- Go to AOL and find the latest and greatest configurations/ports for pop or IMAP whatever you are using.

- Uninstall the outlook 365 software entirely. Reboot.

- Go to O 365 and download the latest and greatest Outlook software. Then install.

-Go the AOL web page for your email, go into your profile and generate the one time password. IMPORTANT spaces do count on this one. Normally putting numbers in with or without spaces for say phone numbers don't matter. THIS TIME IS DOES.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

- Pay careful attention to the install screens, you will reach a point where it will as you something along the line Do you wish to login OR do you wish to manually configure your system. This is key and why you need the AOL configs. You will be eventually for your account name and when they ask you for a password THAT is where you put in the AOL one time password.

After 'hopefully' Outlook is happy then restore all the old emails/etc from the USB backup you made.

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in "New Outlook". As suggested I when to add new account. It now wants me to sign into "My yahoo account" I DO NOT HAVE A YAHOO ACCOUNT! How do I get around this issue. I am simply trying to sync my verizon.net account in the "new outlook"

Thank youi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have has an aol a email account account for 20 yrs Last year I added a gmail account because my employer wanted me to.

Today I tried to purchase a ticket to an event with the google account and it said it did not recognize it.

So i create a new password to purchase the ticket.

I just got home and tried to get to my personal avccount and i cant get there. Google keeps coming on my screen

So now I can get to my personal email account I need to do this on a daily basis

I am not a teck savvy. I need help! My whole world has change.

Please help me

PLEASE

my aol email is = *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

thank you,

Thomas

337-501-3145

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 5,125 Applies to: