Pixel 3 and MS contacts and Calendar Android Pie

Hello, I have wasted a WHOLE day trying to get my Contacts and Calendar sync with the new Pixel 3. I bought the stupid thing thinking it would be easier to integrate all the MS apps. I got everything up and running except the contacts and calendar syncing. Let me tell you what was done. 

1. Account>Exchange...Dose not work. Just keeps going into IMAP mode and any manual input keeps rejecting the request. 

2. Entered account under Gmail. No go. Just email only. no contacts or calendar. 

3. Removed Gmail account and only enter MS account info.

4. Installed Outlook App, which has everything in the app but... No contacts or calendar for the phone. Only in the one app. I wish I could Default Outlook app for phone and SMS. 

All steps I took failed. I work in IT and I'm no idiot. But this problem has me stumped.. I rarely ask for help but this is one I have to ask. 

Anyone with a Pixel 3 able to get their MS Account enable to all parts of the phone? I would Love to know. 

Thanks for reading my rant and offering fixes.

James M.

(I really wish windows phone were still a thing. My last one was a 950 Lumia.) 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Hermitprojects,

I understand that you are having trouble setting up Outlook Contacts & Calendar to sync with your Pixel 3 device. I know how frustrating this is and I will try my best to help you resolve this.

I am a Directly.com expert for Outlook.com and I regret to inform you that you have posted this thread in the wrong forum (Outlook.com). The correct forum is Office> Outlook > Android phone & tablet.

It is important that you post your thread in the correct forum category so that individuals with the correct specialty can help you to resolve your issue more effectively.

Meanwhile, may I suggest you to revert the following information so it is easier for other experts to help you?

1. What is the error message?
2 Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft Outlook app for Android?
3. It would be great if you could supplement your description with a clear screenshot

I personally had a similar issue with Contacts before and it was very irritating, so I guess I can try my best to offer you some helpful solutions while a right expert to come forward to help you.

It is important that you authenticate your Microsoft account as Exchange ActiveSync type on any devices and it will fix issues like this. ;)

I find this article may be helpful to you: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-...

I am sorry for all the inconvenience caused.

Sincerely,
Sutharsan
If my answer helps you, please consider marking it as "Best Answer" or selecting Yes to "Did this solve your problem?"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You've got to go into Outlook and allow contacts to sync.  I guess that's what allows the Android contacts app to display your MS based contacts list.

- At your Outlook Inbox touch the 3-dashes.

- Settings

- Select your Outlook account

- Make sure "sync contacts" is on.

And, while your at it, in Settings, under the Mail heading...  this is where you can turn off that totally stupid Focused Inbox.

Enjoy your Pixel 3 XL.  About 10-days on mine now and all my MS stuff are doing their thing.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem. Switched back to Samsung S8. 

Didn't find any help. Wasted 2 days an lost almost 100 contacts in Microsoft 365 account. 

No go Pixel3

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You've got to go into Outlook and allow contacts to sync.  I guess that's what allows the Android contacts app to display your MS based contacts list.

- At your Outlook Inbox touch the 3-dashes.

- Settings

- Select your Outlook account

- Make sure "sync contacts" is on.

And, while your at it, in Settings, under the Mail heading...  this is where you can turn off that totally stupid Focused Inbox.

Enjoy your Pixel 3 XL.  About 10-days on mine now and all my MS stuff are doing their thing.

This is exactly the tip that i was looking for!  Thank you.  Now we just need to figure out how to get the word on all the other forum sites!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you can also use an app called Nine. it works flawlessly! super easy to setup

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i did exactly this and contacts still do not display in the outlook app (shows only mail and calendar).  They are syncing and they are in there as i can send an email and the relevant contact will fill in.  But there is no way to access the contact list. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The contacts don't seem to display in the Outlook app but are synced to the phone itself and can be selected for use by native apps.  Don't understand why this works differently from the calendar and wish I could get the Outlook calendar to be seen by native apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree about the Windows Phone.  I miss mine every day.

I figured out how to get Outlook contacts to sync on the Pixel 3.

1) Go into the main settings -> Apps & Notifications ->Outlook

2) Tap on Permissions in the Outlook App Info screen, then click the toggle to activate Contacts permissions

3) Open the Outlook app

4) In Outlook settings, under Account, click the name of the account for which you want to sync contacts.  It's probably in the form of an email address

5) Tap the toggle to sync Contacts

6) Open the phone contacts app

7) Click the account icon in the top right of the Search bar

8) Pick the account for which you want to see contacts (your Outlook account)

This should get all your Outlook contacts synced!

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This may be moot, but after having the same problem I found this simple error I made: 

- When I synced my outlook account using the gmail app, I used the auto configuration mode

- It added the account as IMAP, which does not allow to sync contact and calendar

- After spending a few hours on this, I just thought of using manual configuration to select the Exchange (active sync) server type, and now it is not all perfect but it works.  (ex: I don't see the contacts in the native "contacts" app, but I see them in the phone app and emails). Calendars have synced also. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This may not apply to you (fortille) if you're using a Microsoft email address. 

However, when using another email in an IMAP configuration (as I do with a domain account with host support from Yahoo), you would use Microsoft only for synchronization of Calendar/Contacts/Tasks.  So, email doesn't even transit through Microsoft and you may not even use the mail function from outlook.com even though you still need a Microsoft address to support Calendar/Contact/Tasks.

In your email client (like Outlook), you would add 2 accounts;  your domain or other IMAP email account plus your Microsoft account.  On your Android phone, the Gmail app must also be set up in order to populate all the other apps with Calendar/Contact/Tasks in sync with Microsoft.  And, the Outlook for Android app must have "Sync contacts" selected so that your phone can get everything from MS.  Android apps (Calendar, Contacts, etc) do a great job on that which is a good thing since Outlook for Android only supports calendar and doesn't support contacts (not sure why as it seems it should).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 6,043 Applies to: