OWA - I want to share the one of the email sub folders only

Our organization uses Microsoft 365 OWA (with some users also using Desktop Outlook), and some users want to share one of the subfolders within their mailbox with other colleagues.

Here's what I did:

1. I selected the subfolder in the user's mailbox that needs to be shared.

2. I clicked on "Shared and Permissions" to add the person with whom the folder should be shared and applied the Reviewer permission.

After doing this, I verified in the other user's Outlook (OWA) that the shared folder was created. However, the subfolder was not displayed; only the user’s shared mailbox name was visible. Clicking on it resulted in a message saying that there were no permissions, and I couldn't proceed any further.

From my research, I found that I also need to add the shared person to the parent folder (Mailbox and Inbox) and check the "Folder visible" option, which I did.

The problem is that this setting allows the other person to see not only the subfolder being shared but also all the emails in the Inbox.

I only want to share one specific subfolder. Is there a way to do this?

|

Hello YoungHwan_Shin,

Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft community.

I understand your concern with trying to share a specific subfolder within a user's mailbox with another colleague, without exposing the entire inbox. Using mailbox folder permissions is a more direct approach to sharing the subfolder without exposing the entire inbox.

To achieve this, follow these steps:

Using PowerShell commands to share a specific subfolder within a user's mailbox

1. Add the colleague as a folder recipient

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity <UserMailbox>:\Shared Subfolder Container -User <ColleagueEmail> -AccessRights Editor

2: Set the folder visible permission

Set-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity <UserMailbox>:\Shared Subfolder Container -User <ColleagueEmail> -AccessRights Visible

3: Add permission to the subfolder

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity <UserMailbox>:\Shared Subfolder Container\<SubfolderName> -User <ColleagueEmail> -AccessRights Editor

4: Share the folder

New-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity <UserMailbox>:\Shared Subfolder Container -User <ColleagueEmail> -AccessRights Editor -SharingPermissionFlags FolderVisible

Replace <UserMailbox> with the user's email address, <ColleagueEmail> with the colleague's email address, and <SubfolderName> with the name of the subfolder you want to share.

Note: You need to run these commands in the Exchange PowerShell module or the Exchange Online PowerShell module, depending on your environment.

Appreciate your patience with us. Looking forward to your response and have a great day ahead!!

Sincerely,
Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2024 Views 114 Applies to: