Outlook Web Access Hotmail - Cannot force desktop view from Android mobile device

My wife and I have identical Verizon Ellipsis 10 tablets running Android 5.1. We don't have PC/laptop, only the tablets. Because we want to access our Hotmail account (and folders) from either tablet, we use OWA through browsers, rather than the Outlook app.

This morning, a problem arose, probably caused by the recent change to Outlook.com through OWA (don't know what all the changes were, but desktop view used to have Empty Now for Spam folder, now says Delete).

The problem is that with some browsers, mobile view is always shown regardless of browser Desktop setting. The problem seems to occur only if cookies are cleared; then the first login shows desktop view, subsequently loading the ste always shows mobile view (with or without a logout in between). I had a similar problem a few months ago and the workaround was to use the URL:

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?layout=full

Note that layout=light brings up HTML version for slow connections. I can't find any documentation for layout=full, but it used to work. Omitting layout=full used to bring up the desktop view with some browsers, but now that parameter seems to be ignored.

The browsers that always display the mobile view are:

Naked Browser Pro version 1.0 build 77

Chrome version 58.0.3029.83

Chrome Beta version 59.0.3071.82

Opera Beta version 42.8.2246.117704

The browsers that properly display the desktop view (with/without layout=full) are:

Opera version 37.0.2192.105088 (afraid to clear cookies)

Firefox version 49.0.2 (afraid to clear cookies)

Firefox Beta version 54.0

All the browsers properly display the HTML version with layout=light.

I've tried clearing cookies, browser cache, Android cache, as well as wiping cache Partition. Because I'm guessing the problem has something to do with Javascript, I also played with Javascript settings with browsers that support about:flags URL. The Opera Beta, Chrome Beta, and Firefox Beta tests were from a clean install.

Nothing worrked (a full system reset isn't practical for me, so I didn't try that).

Neither the mobile version nor the HTML version nor both together provide all features and option settings available with desktop view. Since we only have tablets, it's important we be able to get desktop view to access all features.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Correction: Third paragraph should say "... loading the site ..." rather than "... loading the ste ...".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sandra and Ken,

We appreciate all the information you've provided. We would like to isolate this concern for you. Kindly answer these questions:

• Are you enrolled to an Office 365 for Business subscription?
  • Have you tried accessing other computers and other browsers?

We will look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. So tired of MS making life just a little harder  with every change to Outlook.Com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sandra and Ken,

We appreciate all the information you've provided. We would like to isolate this concern for you. Kindly answer these questions:

• Are you enrolled to an Office 365 for Business subscription?
  • Have you tried accessing other computers and other browsers?

We will look forward to your response.

1. No.

2.1. We have no access to other computers; we only have 2 Verizon Ellipsis 10 tablets.

2.2. Reply to my post with other than a canned response. If you read my post, you'll see what happened with different browsers.

I realize you guys are trying to help, but the only useful thing you can do about my problem is to escalate it to whatever level gets your debugging programmers involved.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also need desktop view of Outlook.Com on Android. Please fix

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2.2. Reply to my post with other than a canned response. If you read my post, you'll see what happened with different browsers.

I just think that the moderator means to use other computers with different browsers.

How about other devices or phones, does it also do the same view? You can observe it with those kind of ways..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in my original post, we only have two tablets, no access to other phones or computers. Same problem happens with my wife's tablet. Saw at least one reply indicating other people are having the same problem.

And the moderator's response is identical to responses to other reports; therefore I think it's "canned".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that's what you believe the FM did, it's your judgment but I don't think a simple question will be canned by them (as what I observe) they have minds to think and fingers to type those. Let's not argue with that..

There could be possibility that issue has something to do with the mobile browser that you're using and you may contact your browser support for assistance to reset it back to its original settings.

It might also have to do with your mobile browser's settings. There should be a setting where you can choose which device "look" you want to use. Normally, you will see an option on the bottom part of the page "Mobile Site" or at the upper part, browsers have different places on where they will put it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Regarding your last paragraph:

Read my original post.

Why does everyone cry "user error"? In programs as complicated as OWA, there are plenty of opportunities for programming errors.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your disappointment is understandable. The reason why we would like you to check if you are getting the same error when logging in to your account through a computer is to determine if it's a browser issue, a server issue, or a device issue. Each device used to access any websites has their own capabilities and restrictions. So we would like to know if this is also happening when you access your Outlook.com email through a computer.

If in case that this is not re-occurring to any computer, then we can deduce that this is not a server issue. Hence, narrowing down to either the limitations of the device or the browser used to access your Outlook.com email.

Please keep us posted after testing your access with your Outlook.com to provide you more assistance with your concern.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2024 Views 3,949 Applies to: