Outlook POP3 Receiving Problem - 0x8004210A

Hello,

I have been having trouble with Outlook in Office 365 Business.

After a certain amount of time open, Outlook becomes unable to receive emails. It can still send emails. Send/Receive reports the error 0x8004210A. "The operation timed out while waiting for a response from the receiving server."

Closing and reopening Outlook allows me to receive again, but after a certain amount of time (I haven't timed it, but probably somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes) it reports the same error again.

I tried adding a second email from the same server as a test account, and it also gets the same error at the same time.

When the error is present, I can still access the account via web login and telnet, and emails still arrive on a phone and a secondary computer.

Attempted fixes to no avail:

Double checking port numbers
Restarting computer

Increasing the server timeout period

Disabling all Add-ins
Repairing Office installation

Using the Microsoft Support & Recovery Assistant Tool
Uninstalling and reinstalling Office

Scanning and repairing the registry via third-party software

Repairing the PST file

Removing and re-adding the email account

Creating a new Profile

Starting Outlook in Safe Mode

Uninstalling Antivirus software

Turning off Windows Antivirus

Turning off Windows Firewall

Restarting the router

Restarting the modem

Contacting my ISP

Changing email password

Honestly, I'm stumped. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You hold the Ctrl Key to force safe mode when starting OL, does the problem then re-occur?

And if you use the win10 mail app to add that mail account as IMAP type does that also fail after a period?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For the first question, yes the problem re-occurs in safe mode.

For the second question, I have not tried using the win10 mail app but I have tried removing the secondary test email account I mentioned and adding it back as an IMAP account, and it seemed like the problem did not occur for it in that case. Unfortunately I would prefer for the email account to remain set up as POP3 if possible.

Edit: I just tried adding the account in the win10 mail app. Waiting to see if anything happens there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David, 

Thanks for your post with above details.

Generally, this error occurs when Microsoft Outlook fails to establish a connection with your email server. So, to isolate whether this issue is related with Outlook or your mail service, please firstly login to your account's web mail APP via the web browser to see if you can receive emails in the web side.

Moreover, since you configured your account as POP account in Outlook, if you also use your account in other devices and if the POP email in Outlook is not set to save a copy on the server, your missing email may be on the device where you first checked your email. 

Also, as you mentioned it works after re-starting Outlook, please try to connect to a different and stable network environment to see if this will make any difference.

If you need further assistance, we need to confirm the following information with you:

1. Please confirm with other users who use the same email service like you and also add their account in Outlook via POP to see if they have encountered the same issue.

2. Do you use a Microsoft 365 for Business account in Outlook?

3. Please send us a screenshoot of your Outlook client version in File > Office Account.

Best regards,

Jennifer

Note: Please don't call the phone numbers you received in emails that claimed they could provide phone support in the community, they're spammer.

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Logging in to my account's web mail app via the web browser works and I can send and receive emails there.

POP is configured on other devices to leave a copy on the server.

I tried connecting via wifi instead of ethernet and the result was the same.

1. I have talked to everyone who uses the company email service and nobody who uses the same email service has encountered the same issue. They are also in the same building using the same network.

2. I use a Microsoft 365 for Business account for all my office programs including Outlook as the Office account, but I do not use the email of that account.

3. Here is the Outlook version screenshot:

I set up the email account as POP3 in Win10 Mail and I have left Outlook and Win10 Mail open for a while. While Outlook has given its usual error, Win10 Mail seems to be working normally with no errors.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I close and reopen Outlook after getting the error, Outlook prompts me to re-enter the email password. I have double checked the account settings and I am confident that I have entered the password correctly. I am not sure how relevant this information is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David, 

We appreciate your reply and let us know above additional information. 

Please kindly do the following steps to clear the password caches and check if this will make any difference: exit all Office products, choose Start > Control Panel > View by Large Icons > User Accounts > Manage your credentials and the select all credentials for Microsoft, Outlook and choose Remove from Vault > Exit and restart your computer. 

Besides, Microsoft just released the version 2008 (Build 13127.20408) on September 9, 2020, you can try to update your Outlook client to the latest version to give it a try. 

If that doesn't help and the issue persists, it is advisable that you may try to create a new Windows user profile to check the result.

Best regards,

Jennifer 

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Clearing credentials related to Microsoft/Outlook did not seem to have any effect. I also updated to Build 13127.20408 but the error still persists. The error did not appear when I first opened Outlook after updating, but after having closing and reopening Outlook, the error returned.

I created a new Windows user profile and added the same email in Outlook there, and it seems like the issue does not exist there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David,

Glad to hear it works as expected now. Wish you have a nice day :-)

Best regards,

Jennifer 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Sorry, it still does not work as expected because I do not wish to use a new user profile.

Is there another possible solution?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

I have the same problem occurring at random on multiple computers, Outlook 2019. It started maybe two/three weeks ago, shortly after that failed Outlook update that made it crash at open. I can confirm the problem gets briefly resolved by closing and re-opening Outlook (sometimes more than once). I cannot send or receive when the error is active but I can login to GSuite normally. I have other clients logging in to GSuite as well, no problem. This currently occurs at a single site only and on multiple versions of Outlook.

I am currently considering installing G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook to see if it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ditto same issues; have tried all recommendations to no avail;  using Windows 10 Pro and Office 2019 Pro.  i have a post on here somewhere from a week ago with same complaint.  nothing seems to work.  and I too want to use a  POP3 not an IMAP.  My issue began after an update from MS in late June, prior to which is worked fine since March install.  and yes went through major BSOD issues after that upgrade as well.   wonky bad programing i think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 6,275 Applies to: