Outlook mobile on Windows Phone 10

Since last week my outlook app on Windows Phone 10 (Lumia 950) stopped working. I got message "Your hotmail account settings are out-of-date". When I hit Fix account button, new page with Your account was updated successfully appears, but nothing happens. After few seconds I got message "Your hotmail account settings are out-of-date" again and going to infinite loop.

I have checked that I have latest OS version 10.0.15254.603, not updates for outlook app, removed and added account (that deletes all my contacts so phone is now UNUSABLE!!!!!), changed password, tried server outlook.office265.com instead m.hotmail.com. Nothing worked.

Please. anyone can help me? Or shall I throw that Lumia out of window and go for apple or google?

|
Answer
Answer

Please pardon me if you've already tried these steps; here are some steps that seemed to work for me.

From reports in this thread, there are general inconsistencies as to when the problems first started occurring, why things aren't working, and what steps seem to provide resolution.

Two primary solutions have been identified thus far—one is a "non-destructive" approach (which affords the opportunity to ensure the new configuration works before removing the non-working configuration) and the other is a "destructive" approach (which require deleting the existing account [which in turn removes contacts, calendar items, and emails cached locally] before the new account can be created. You can always try the non-destructive approach first and then proceed to the destructive approach if needed.

NON-DESTRUCTIVE APPROACH

Account Reconfiguration (based on the September 19 post by Luke Williams5)

This is used with hotmail.com and outlook.com email addresses but should work for all Microsoft email accounts.

1. On the phone, go to Settings > Accounts > Email & app accounts > Add an account > Advanced setup (at the bottom of the list) > Exchange ActiveSync

2. Fill in all the fields

1. Domain: The domain of your email address (e.g. hotmail.com)

2. Server: Which server works for you seems to very by individual. So, the server that works for one person might not work for another. Below are a few specific servers that have been mentioned.

• outlook.office365.com (this currently seems to be working the best for users)

• outlook.live.com

• eas.outlook.com

• m.hotmail.com

• NOTE: If you have previously completed the account reconfiguration but later go back and change only this server setting to point to a different server, for best results, close Outlook and reboot your device.

3. SSL: Ensure this is checked

4. Account Name: An arbitrary name that you can use to identify this account

NOTE: If you have issues scrolling after filling in a field in the account setup screen above—

1. Enter the desired value in the given field

2. Tap the back button to hide the keyboard

3. Select the new field

4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 until all fields are filled out

5. You might also need to tap the back button to hide the keyboard to make buttons at the bottom accessible

Contacts Sync

1. On the screen picture, tap the ellipses button in the lower-right corner

2. Tap "Settings" from the pop-up menu

3. Look for the newly-created Exchange ActiveSync account listed under the "Accounts" section

4. Long-press on that account

5. Tap "Sync" from the pop-up menu

6. The account label will dim and display "Syncing…" during this process

7. I try to allow time for the sync to complete before moving to the next step (could take a bit, especially the first time), but the app doesn't force you to wait.

Calendar Sync

1. Tap the ellipses button in the lower-right corner

2. Tap "Sync" from the pop-up menu

3. For anything more than quick sync, a "Sync" text label will be shown at the bottom

4. I try to allow time for the sync to complete before moving to the next step (could take a bit, especially the first time), but the app doesn't force you to wait.

Outlook/Email Sync

1. Tap the "hamburger" menu in the upper-left corner

2. In the slide-out menu, under the "Accounts" section at the top, tap-select the newly-created Exchange ActiveSync account

3. Close the hamburger slide-out menu

4. Tap the ellipses button in the lower-right corner

5. Tap the "Sync" option from the button along the bottom

6. A "Syncing…" text label will be shown at the bottom, which will change to "Up to date" when complete

Cleanup

Once synchronization completes, you might have duplicate (but linked) contacts and duplicate calendar entries. To remove those duplicate items:

1. On the phone, go to Settings > Accounts > Email & app accounts

2. Tap on the original account (i.e. not the Exchange ActiveSync account that we just created)

3. Tap the "Manage" button

4. Select the "Delete account" option

IMPORTANT NOTE: After some update several years ago, the Drafts folder in Outlook stopped synchronizing, so I had to manually take care of the draft emails that were associated with the original account prior to deleting that account. Otherwise, those draft emails associated with that account would have been lost when deleting that original (and now duplicate) account.

DESTRUCTIVE APPROACH

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before proceeding, please ensure that you have an appropriate backup of any contacts, calendar info, or emails that might be on your mobile device.

Account Deletion and Recreation (based on the September 22 post by pendragon1 at the bottom of page 2 in this thread)

2. Tap on this original account that is experiencing the issues

4. Select the "Delete account" option

5. Go back to Settings > Accounts > Email & app accounts

6. Tap "Add an account"

7. Select the "Exchange" option

8. Enter your email address

9. Acknowledge the prompt that that is not a work account, etc.

10. [Acknowledge the prompt to connect anyway with an invalid certificate] (not certain that this will be encountered)

11. Enter your login information when prompted

12. Should now now be able to sync (c.f. sync steps in the non-destructive approach described above)

To Check Your Settings and Aid in Troubleshooting

2. Tap on this original account that is experiencing the issues

4. Tap "Change mailbox sync settings"

5. Make note of what the server is. Some users have reported this is showing as "eas.outlook.com" (though perhaps it could also be one of the other servers listed above).

LAST RESORT

As a very last resort for email, there are IMAP, POP3, and SMTP configuration settings that should work, but of course that wouldn't cover anything else like calendar or contacts.

OTHER NOTES

1. OneDrive is still functional, including the auto-upload of photos to the Camera Roll on OneDrive

2. Weather app - While the Microsoft Weather app now only seems to be good for its live tile, the AccuWeather app has been working well for me.

3. Skype - Skype quit working for me a little over a year ago, but I am able to use Microsoft's GroupMe app that is available via the Microsoft Store app.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 2,135 Applies to: