Outlook Keeps crashing on startup

I am using Outlook 2016 with Windows 10.  I am using an email from office365 and changed my password in office365.  Outlook was crashing about a few seconds as I believe it was searching for the new password credentials.  Per recommendations from another post, I went to the Credential Manager and deleted the generic credentials listed for this outlook email account.  Now, outlook 2016 crashes immediately upon opening.  I also tried opening it in Safe mode and it crashed moments after opening.  

What do I do?  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Eberle,

Except changing your Office 365 account’s password, it is recommended that you haven’t made any other change to your Outlook 2016. Moreover, since you are using Office 365 account in your Outlook 2016, we suggest you try using Microsoft Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant (SARA) tool (problems with Outlook). If there is any notification (error message) during the process, provide it here. Also, you can try the suggested methods in this article.

If the issue persists, please clarify the following information for further troubleshooting:
1.    Does the issue persist in you run your Outlook 2016 in a clean boot?
2.    Is there any error message while your Outlook 2016 crashes? If so, put it here for analysis.
3.    What is your Outlook 2016 version?
4.    Before changing the password, did your Outlook 2016 work well?

Any update would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alan
-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have resolved the issue courtesy of Grant from Miscosoft Office 365 support who was great.  We really don't know what caused the problem but ultimately started over from scratch and finally after 2 hours were able to fix the issue.

in terms of your questions:

1.    Does the issue persist in you run your Outlook 2016 in a clean boot?  I couldn't even get it to boot in safe mode.
2.    Is there any error message while your Outlook 2016 crashes? If so, put it here for analysis.  There was no error message as it crased during loading profiles
3.    What is your Outlook 2016 version? Current and up to date,
4.    Before changing the password, did your Outlook 2016 work well?  Yes it was great.  And hopefully will be now too

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eberle,

Good to hear that the issue is resolved.

You are welcome to post in our forum if you run into any problem regarding Office 365 in the future.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem. I am logging in to my work email on 365 from my home computer (as usual). 

I can get the Home start up screen, and sharepoint etc., but nothing relating to mail such as calendar. 

I don't necessarily want to install a tool on my own computer, asI have very slow broadband here and it will take forever to get it downloaded. 

I can't get hold of anyone at work because it's a small firm and we have holidays - hence I was running things from here!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi C4GMH,

The previous problem that I am talking with Eberle is “Outlook crash on startup”. So, if it is the same situation as yours, we suggest you try under another network environment where the broadband is fast. (For example, a Coffee shop) as the issue might be related to the slow broadband network.

If the issue persists under a fast broadband network environment, let’s try the methods described in https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-not-responding-stuck-at-Processing-stopped-working-freezes-or-hangs-5C313D04-64AF-4441-82D2-44E5A43EEE5A?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. (There is also a suggestion regarding SARA tool here and actually it just needs to download the tool once. It is really a helpful and powerful tool. If you can’t download it, just quit it).

If you are talking about something different (for example, you can open your Outlook client but it crashes while you click some button or perform other steps), please describe the issue you are encountering with more details. Some related screenshots are also appreciated.

Regards,
Alan

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. I do have slow broadband but the problem is new. I've always been able to get into Outlook previously. The broadband speed hasn't altered. 

I will try your other suggestion. 

Many thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi C4GMH,

You are welcome to post back if you need any further help.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have iCloud installed on your PC?

If you do, then this is the problem.  Solution is to just "Sign Out" of iCloud > open Outlook and update your passwords > close Outlook > "Sign In" to iCloud > open Outlook.

I have to do this every time I change my passwords for email accounts.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I think something weird has happened to my last post. What I reported recently was the length of time it takes to get on the internet after starting Windows 10. We still have slow broadband here (less than 1mbps) and it seems that everything is trying to update itself. It's really bad when Win 10 wants to update - I can't use the internet until it's finished, sometimes hours. 

It would be great to just switch on and check my email without having to wait for about 15mins. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi C4GMH,

I suggest you post another thread in this forum for avliding confusion here. The original thread mainly focuses on Outlook for Mac crashing issue. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. 

By the way, the issue "takes tens of minutes to connect to Internet" should be your local network settings. You may contact your network admin or IT support for dedicated help. 

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 32,421 Applies to: