Outlook is sending messages into a black hole.... :(

My customer is using Windows Vista and Outlook 2003. When she sends mail, it sends successfully - I watch it go to the outbox, and then the sent folder. No error messages, it just goes through. BUT - the email is never received, no matter where its sent. Even to herself. To me. Anyone, any network. The emails seem to be going to a black hole. Problems I already did to try and resolve issue:

1) Tried through webmail - it works. Can send AND receive
2) Booted in safe mode with networking and tried - no change
3) Completely uninstalled the anti-virus software (Webroot SecureAnywhere) and before reinstalling, tried it again - no change
4) Reinstalled anti-virus and reinstalled outlook - no change
5) Used my own email in Outlook. It was able to receive and delivery successfully so that gave me the idea to do #5
5) Deleted the account in Outlook and re-added it. This worked! For one day. The next day, started the same problem. I wonder if I left mine account in, would the same problem happen to mine?
6) Thinking problem may be in outlook, I disabled outlook, and installed Thunderbird. Setup her account, and it worked fine. I thought the problem was solved. But again, back to the same problem. Even with Outlook, it leaves the computer, but no one ever gets the email. 

So.... what is the problem. Her computer? Her email account? If it is her email account, why does it work in webmail? If it is her computer, what the heck is going on!
Answer
Answer

What is the exact build number of Outlook? Use Help-> About... to find out. Make sure it is fully up-to-date.
Is she using the SMTP server of her ISP or the one that is hosting her mailbox (in case it is not the same)?
Does changing it make any difference?
Which message format and editor is she using? Try a Plain Text message with Outlook as the email editor.

This is a really good time to start enabling logging so you can find out if the message is actually delivered to the SMTP server. If so, it is an issue with the SMTP server and apparently how it handles messages coming from Outlook.

To enable logging;
Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button-> Advanced Options...-> option: Enable mail logging (troubleshooting)

You can find the log it creates under;
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\Outlook logging\Opmlog.log

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2023 Views 758 Applies to: