Outlook hotmail account

I have an outlook hotmail account and I am seeing an unrecognised email address on my laptop when I 'show more' of my account details.  I have tried changing my password, setting up authenticator and deleting the account from my laptop and then re-adding it but the unrecognised account details are still there?   I am not sure if I have security issue or not, have tried to get hold of Microsoft support with no success so far.   Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi BarbaraEvans7,

We understand that you have concerns with the unrecognized email address on your laptop that shows under your account details. Let’s check on this further and help you in getting this addressed.

Based on the information provided, the unfamiliar details may be added or linked directly to your laptop. To know more about this, we’d like where exactly are you seeing the unrecognized email address on your laptop. Is it from the Settings app of your Windows 10 device? Would you be able to share a screenshot of it to get a clear overview of your concern? See this: How to include a screenshot in your post.

Since the thread is tagged under Outlook.com, may we verify if you’re also seeing that information if you sign into your Hotmail account through Outlook.com from a browser? Have you received any notification in an email if there were changes made to your account?

We’d love to hear from you soon and provide you with appropriate recommendations. We look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your email.  I am seeing it in both my windows10 device and also when I access Outlook through the browser.  I have taken screenshots from both so that you can see the detail of what I am seeing.   I have also received an email today (I have snipped the content and put it into the attached jpeg format) for your information.   I hope this is everything you need.

Kind regards

Barbara Evans

I

***Removed info for security***

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for providing that information.

Based on the screenshots provided, it seems like the unrecognized email address is linked to your account or added as a contact in your Contact list. It’s also possible that there are multiple aliases added to your account.

To check on this, you may sign into your account here: https://outlook.live.com/people/ and find your email address. If it’s listed there, you may try to edit the contact information and see if you’ll be able to change its name from your full name, the email address to your correct email account. For the complete steps on how you can edit contacts, you may refer to this article and go to the section: View and edit contact information.

Just in case that it’s not listed in your contact list, another option that we can try is to check your account if you’ll see this unrecognized email address as one of your aliases. You may click this: Manage how you sign in to Microsoft, then sign into your account and check if you’ll see there the unfamiliar email account and you can remove it from there. Please take note that if there’s a need for your to remove the alias that’s currently set as the primary, you’ll have to add a new one first and set it as the new primary before you can remove the other one completely.

Please respond to this thread to let us know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform us by replying to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does your email address end with @Hotmail.com or @outlook.com?

Does the unrecognized address have a long sting of numbers and letters@outlook.com ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive tried both of the anove options. I cannot find me or this detail in my contacts and when i review aliases i only see my main account details.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

thank you for responding.

my email address ends with @hotmail.com.   The unrevognised address does have a long string of numbers and letters but does not have outlook.com at the end.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The long string of numbers and letters usually occurs when your primary alias is not a @hotmail.... or @outlook... address.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having tried your suggestions without success, i also identified the following.  When i enter my email address into a new nessage in Outlook browser on Ipad, I see two email addresses for me, the first does not include the erroneous detail and allows me to send an email to myself and i receive that email.  If I endeavour to send myself an email from the email address with erroneous detail, i do not receive anything.? 
Does this help any further with understanding if this is a security issue for me! And what my next actions should be.  See screenshot of the 2 accounts that appear.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I removed the picture with your email addresses.

When you start typing an email address for one of the address fields, a list of suggested addresses appears.

The list will include addresses that have been used in the past.

The list will have addresses that may not be in your address book.

Using a Windows computer, hovering the mouse cursor over one of the addresses in the list makes an X appear to the right of the name.

Clicking the X deletes the address from the suggested addresses list.

I do not know how you can make the delete X appear on an Ipad.

I doubt that the address appears in your address book.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you fir the feedback.  Yes, it has removed it when in Outlook through the browser, they stay there when accessing through Windows10.

i assume there is nothing more i can do to comoletely remove itbut appreciate your response.

kind regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 319 Applies to: