Outlook Email - Hotmail account - Windows 10 - Reading Pane Appearance

How can I delete or resize the RHS "received" column in outlook inbox? Nothing I've found on the web applies to the Outlook version I have.

Hello 12phil34

Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today.

The starting point is identifying what you are using in reference to "Outlook". Specifically

#1 - Accessing an Outlook.com account (@Outlook @Hotmail @Live @MSN) via webmail (using a browser

or

#2 - The Windows 10 / 11 Mail app

or

#3 - The Outlook desktop program (part of Office)

If you're not sure, providing a screenshot would go a long way in helping to identify what exactly it is that you are asking about
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm still using the Hotmail legacy display, https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/inbox  

Please try again later. Refresh the page. Fewer Details

outlook.live.com

I like it better than more modern Outlook displays because it contains more information and I've never upgraded.  

I semi-fixed the display problem by increasing the display resolution of the laptop where I encountered the problem that prompted my question.  I'd still like to adjust some column widths however so I can see more of my Email titles.  Is this possible with this Outlook version?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure what you mean regarding the Hotmail "legacy display" but the link you provided is the current web UI for all Microsoft email properties (@Outlook @Hotmail @Live @MSN)

There was a link for what was called the 'classic" display using the following link but don't think it's still active - it redirects to the link you included (at least it does for me)

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/classic

In regards to changing the size of the reading pane - moving the borders is extremely limited (done via your mouse and dragging the border). There are no specific settings to adjust the size of the reading pane or message list. The only real options are to show it on the right, bottom or hide it.

In addition you can also review your <layout> options and experiment to see if any options serve your purpose

#1 - click on <gear> (settings) icon - top right
#2 - click on <View all Outlook settings>
#3 - select <Mail> --> <Layout>
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks. Adjusting column widths via mouse dragging was exactly what I needed and I couldn't find that anywhere on the web. I actually initially tried that but finding column boundaries is a bit tricky - you have to move the mouse very slowly to locate them - and I missed it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to have been able to help. Definitely wouldn't argue that finding the borders can be a bit tricky.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 66 Applies to: