Outlook Delay Delivery While Closed

Hi, this is regarding Outlook app's delay delivery feature. I'm using Outlook 2016 app, with an @outlook.com email address. I suppose this uses IMAP? I'm not sure, as the setup wizard easily got my mailbox set up into the app.

When an email is set to be sent at a specific time, let's say 2 days from today, and if I close the Outlook app or do not turn on my laptop for 5 days, then that email does not get sent until I reopen Outlook App 5 days later.

Closing Outlook app will give a notification of whether I wish to "Don't Exit" or "Exit and Send Later"

How can I push the message in the outbox onto the online servers? So that even with the Outlook app closed, my mail will still send as scheduled?

Please explain in detail about the cache exchange settings etc, and how I can set my mailbox to function as desired, i.e. send a mail even with the app closed.

I'm sure someone at Microsoft will have an answer to this? Thanks all!

An Outlook.com mail account is an Exchange type, and uses an *.ost data file. If you have set a delivery delay, it will not send unless OL is open/running - No way round that, other than in outlook.com web browser access setting a delay mail there, or rule, if you can.
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi qwerty,
Outlook in cached mode (or with IMAP and POP accounts) must be open to send delayed messages. The only exception is for Exchange accounts in online mode - delayed messages are stored on the server. I have more information on this at https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/delay-sending...

Note that Outlook.com does not support online mode so it won't work with Outlook.com accounts. While you can turn off cached mode for an outlook.com account, when you restart outlook, it is re-enabled.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 9,886 Applies to: