Outlook 2021 Signatures

Hi,

I have three installations of Office 2021 Pro Plus running on Windows 11 Pro. All Windows updates and Office updates installed.

Right from initial installation it is impossible to create signatures on any of them because the moment I click on 'Signatures' in Options/Mail there's a brief pause and Outlook simply closes.

An event log entry is created each time I try:-

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.14430.20306, time stamp: 0x6164b9bb

Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 16.0.14430.20292, time stamp: 0x615f71fb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000019326ae

Faulting process ID: 0x3744

Faulting application start time: 0x01d7c29d94b151ec

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\wwlib.dll

Report ID: 23b63248-d458-41a7-b709-fafd0451fa4c

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Is anybody else seeing this behaviour - even better - if you have, have you managed to fix it ?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi IanFretwell_46

Greetings

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

After doing some research this tends to happen when you install an Office subscriptions that has pre-installed Microsoft Office desktop apps. Kindly refer to the Outlook freezes clicking the Signature button (microsoft.com) 

After carrying out the steps in the article, you would have to run an office repair for instructions on how to do so kindly refer to  Repair an Office application (microsoft.com)

Please feel free to let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Momo

Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but no, all three machines are clean installs from ISO media - so unless Windows 11 is installing an Office subscription for me then this isn't what's happening.

And it doesn't 'freeze' - it closes completely.

Having gone through the steps (which seems to be for Outlook 2016, the option Microsoft Office Desktop Apps doesn't appear on any of the three machines anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the response.

Please confirm if you were able to run an office repair/

Please try the following and check to see if it helps resolve the issue.

# Remove or delete the existing outlook profile by following the steps listed in Remove a profile (microsoft.com)

# Then uninstall office then reinstall it, then create a new outlook profile for instructions on how to do so please see Create an Outlook profile (microsoft.com)

Kind Regards,

Momo

Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Momo,

OK, I've now tried that on one of the machines - it has unfortunately made no difference.

Do bug reports like this actually get escalated to the point where somebody actually tries what I'm describing to actually see if the problem exists 'everywhere' ?

If not, how would I actually report it through the correct channels ? (at the end of the day if the two flagship desktop products - when installed completely cleanly - can't do a basic function that's existed for 20 odd years then I'm a bit of a loss as to where MS are headed)

Thanks,

Ian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The article Momo posted has all the known reasons we have seen this issue prior. The next thing to check is also listed in the article but probably a better explanation here, Unable to add Email Signature in Microsoft Outlook on Windows 10 (thewindowsclub.com).

Open Registry Editor and navigate to the bolded paths below depending on your install scenario. Check if the Outlook.exe path matches the respective paths below. If not, edit that registry key and put the correct path. If the path does not match, please note what it is currently set to and let us know.

For 32-bit Office installation on 32-bit Windows and for 64-bit Office installation on 64-bit Windows:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0006F033-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\LocalServer32

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE

For 32-bit Office installed on 64-bit Windows:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\LocalServer32

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi & thanks - but sadly that's not it either - the path is correct:-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've now had a colleague perform an equivalent installation - this time on a VMware Workstation VM - end result is absolutely identical, as soon as you attempt to go into Signatures Outlook shuts down.

It's broken...how do we raise this properly with the appropriate support team please ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The support options are listed here, Support for business (microsoft.com). Just to double check but do you have Office Subscription or is this Office Perpetual? If perpetual then the only option is Microsoft Professional Support (pay-per-incident) unless you have a separate support contract. Office Subscription comes with support included.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Gabriel,

These are actually test machines using company MSDN licenses.

I don't neccessarily think that me wanting to file a 'bug-report' is the same as me requiring 'support'.

I have no intention of paying for this to be fixed, but I did want to offer my 'testing' for free. There's a bug, I thought MS would like to know, but maybe I'm wrong.

I can only assume it'll get fixed eventually when enough paying customers complain too.

Cheers anyway,

Ian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ian,

We have logged a bug for the issue and will work toward getting it fixed. The main challenge is determining what causes the misconfiguration in the registry. I went through some of the support cases this morning and I see support engineers are using the existing guidance to mitigate customers, Outlook freezes clicking the Signature button (microsoft.com). Maybe you are seeing a different root cause but if you have some patience it might be worth looking more carefully in case it might help. If we end up finding any other root causes I will post back and share any findings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 509 Applies to: