Outlook 2016 now shows email address rather than contact name followed by email address

When I type in the To box to send an email now, only the email address appears in the AutoComplete list and only the email address appears in the To box. It used to be the contact name followed by the email address enclosed in chevrons. Did Microsoft change something in their latest upgrade?

Depends what upgrade you mean.

Have you opened People/Contacts then checked that the display name is set as required?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean. Specific steps would be very much appreciated.
Arlene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found my own answer. There is no way to change the Display as field format globally. You have to do it name by name in Contacts as follows:

Open Outlook Contacts; open desired contact; in the Display as field, type the name as desired, add parentheses around email; from the Contact tab, Actions group, click Save & Close; repeat for each contact.

Note that the default "Display as" content when you add a new contact with still display the Full Name followed by the email address in parentheses.

Note that AutoComplete when you are addressing an email suggests this same format:

Arlene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2023 Views 458 Applies to: