Outlook 2016 goes to blank white screen after email is sent

Hi all.  Hoping someone out there has experienced this and can advise on fix.

User with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and Office 2016 32bit installed, all patched to latest and greatest. 

Every now and then, the user sends an email, and Outlook goes white screen, like its not responding, but does not show that.  Outlook is closed and then things work again. The ribbon is all present and Outlook seems to keep working, but everything else goes blank white.

So this is not about blank emails being sent, it is about how Outlook 2016 appears to go blank screen when an email is sent.

Tried new profile, cached and non cached mode, turned off hardware acceleration in Outlook, even changed the video card, same issue.  It is a Dell Optiplex 9060 (I think), and iCore 7, 16GB RAM, NVMe 2.0 storage - it is not a slow PC. EMail is Exchange Online Plan 2 account.

Can anyone advise on what this may be?  I have tried to search this issue online for some time now, and only thing that comes close is about sending blank emails, and that is not the issue at all.  Can't find anything close to this.

Any help is appreciated.  Many thx.

D

Hi DGMPL,

To better assist you, I would like to gather more details about this concern. Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are the sent emails have attachments?
  • Since you mentioned that you're using an Exchange email account, have you tried adding a different email account type (POP/IMAP)? This would help us isolate if the issue is with the account or the application itself.
  • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

In the meantime, please run the application in safe mode. This would help us identify if an add-in or extension is causing the problem.

1. Find the shortcut icon for your Office application.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key and double-click the application shortcut.

3. Click Yes when a window appears asking if you want to start the application in safe mode.

If running in safe mode and the issue still occurs, I suggest that you run a repair. Here's the article for the steps.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

WilliamBoatright has replied to your question Outlook 2016 goes to blank white screen after email is sent in Microsoft Community.

I have been experiencing the same issue intermittently. I tried the suggestions on the forums and the KBs; short of uninstalling and reinstalling.  None have worked for me. These include, but were not limited to, changing registry setting, disabling and reinstalling antivirus.....

So I set out to reliably recreate the problem, hoping to stumble on a viable solution.

I found that Outlook (2016 in my case) give a small "text like" warning about the Send button, when you are replying to an email that is being tracked as a conversation. This warning basically states you are no responding to the latest email in the conversation.

Here is an image of that warning

<image>

Heed this warning.

In my case, when testing, my Outbox and Sent Box accurately show the email leaving my machine. But the inbox gave me a blank message devoid of any information, no To, From, Subject, etcetera....Just an arrival time. When I changed to the latest email in the conversation and tried it, the message was delivered intact.

I don't know if it is possible to disable the feature that tracks this or if it would even help, but I wanted to get a note out to the other folks who are having these blank email show up in there in the Inboxes and let them know. - Its not you :) Its the sender :(

Although it doesn't fix this issue, I do hope it helps people work around the issue until we can figure this one out.

Regards,

WB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thx WilliamBoatright.  Your study of the issue with out of order replies is intriguing.  Unfortunately, my user tested it and it still happens with new emails or replies.  The user then closes Outlook and then things seem to go back to normal.  The user reboots their PC every night, so nothing is left running, but the issues seems to happen about every 3 to 4 days, very random.

It is almost like a cache of some sort runs out in Outlook, like it exhausts some sort of memory threshold.  I had read in other blogs that this does not happen with Outlook 201x 64bit version, but then if going that route, you suddenly make other add-ins inoperable or incompatible with the 64bit version.

Reply to Jomel Ber: It is not feasible for the user to run in Safe mode.  The user has a lot of custom colors and associations on emails that it would just confuse the user and be frustrating.  Since it does not happen on a reliable basis, it also would mean having to stay in Safe mode for several days.

Not sure where else or what else to try.  I was really hoping someone else out there came across a solution.

Thx

D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for sharing this information. Since that you're using an Exchange account and the user has a lot of customization and associations on the emails, it would be best to post this concern to our TechNet forum page. It consists of experts that handle this kind of query. You can get in-touch with them through this link.

Should you have questions or other concerns, please don't hesitate to reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2023 Views 285 Applies to: