Outlook 2016 Cannot Authenticate to GMAIL

All of a sudden Outlook 2016, installed from Office 2016, began asking for password. I verified that GMAIL via the browser could successfully login with the known password. Tried to create a new Outlook Profile but I could not even get through the Test Account process. So I changed the password in GMAIL and verified I could login while in the browser. Changed the password in the existing Outlook Profile but same result. Tried, again, to create a new Outlook Profile but it would not successfully Test Account with GMAIL. So I installed Thunderbird and configured similarly to Outlook. It was successful. I also did a repair of Office 2016 and a Repair in the Outlook Profile settings. Same result. What am I missing? Please advise. Thank you.

Additionally, using POP3 with ports 995, SMTP 587 and SSL. These settings have worked for years in Outlook 2016.

Answer
Answer
This is one of those cases where both Google and Microsoft need to investigate all the reports (together) - there are just too many cases like this to just be "isolated" - from where I'm sitting, they're the only ones who can definitively narrow this down

How to get there - is anyone's guess. The proverbial answer would be to get in touch with both Google and Microsoft Support (an answer which I'll be the first to admit would not go over well if I was on the receiving end of that answer). Unfortunately I no longer have any MS contacts in Support since retiring as an Outlook MVP a few years ago.
Karl

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2023 Views 3,042 Applies to: