Outlook 2007 has started popping up an "Enter Network Password" prompt with my Gmail account, and can't receive messages

This issue isn't about Outlook.com as such, but rather, Outlook. I've been using Outlook 2007 and Gmail for many years with no issues, and yesterday I began receiving an "Enter Network Password" pop-up prompt and can't receive e-mails. I haven't changed any settings. The pop-up shows correct info... Server: pop.gmail.com, User Name: my name, and Password (asterisks). All is the same as it's always been. "Save this password in your password list" is unchecked, and when I check it and click OK, it just keeps popping up with the box unchecked. The only way I can get rid of the pop-up is by clicking on the X or Cancel. I can send and receive messages when logging directly onto my Gmail account, but not via Outlook. This has just come out of nowhere. I've contacted my provider and after an hour, the tech couldn't figure it out. I'm running Win 7 Pro and tried a system restore to the day before this started, but made no difference. I have a separate e-mail through my provider that has no issues with Outlook, just Gmail. Unfortunately everyone I know has this e-mail address, and the one on my business cards. I've done all updates and checked all Gmail settings, verified by the provider.

Any thoughts?

Hi BallyshannonDC,
Are you use 2-step verification? If not, you need to verify that google did not turn off 'Allow less secure apps' in the security settings.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Diane, thanks for the quick response. No, the 2-step verification option is off. Also, I turned on "Allow less secure apps", but made no difference. Still getting the pop-up and can't log onto the server. I've been messing with this all day and have to get to bed! Will check back in the morning.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you have any security warnings in Gmail security? Review all and click 'it was me' (if it was you) - you may need to go back in and review them twice. (I did.)
--
Diane Poremsky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diane,

Before I accessed this forum, I spent a lot of time searching Google and found this to be an ongoing problem with many, many users, so went through all of the 'fixes' presented. But none worked.

I had already reviewed all security warnings, making sure each one was, in fact, me. However, I did find one that wasn't me and when expanding the info for possible unauthorized use, there were several IP addresses that weren't me! Each included their e-mail and IP address, and Google indicated all had been blocked. But oddly, those involved a hotmail account I didn't even know I had....and never use hotmail. Any ideas how I can permanently delete any existing hotmail account, for which I have no clue what would be the address or password?

On a positive note, when I checked mail via Outlook this morning, all seems fine. The pop-up has disappeared, and all messages received. Go figure. Maybe after enabling "Allow less secure apps", it just needed time to acknowledge the change. ???? It's a mystery, but one I'm happy about.

A thought.... I'm involved in astronomy and have a Kindle Fire on which I downloaded a couple sky map apps the other day through Google Apps to try out just before this started happening on my PC. Because of the timing, I'm wondering if my PC and Kindle are somehow synced/hooked, and that action may have initiated this problem?? While going through this Outlook issue, something told me to remove those apps from the Kindle yesterday, and now Outlook seems to be working with my original Gmail account. Who knows!

DC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
I downloaded a couple sky map apps the other day through Google Apps to try out just before this started happening on my PC. Because of the timing, I'm wondering if my PC and Kindle are somehow synced/hooked, and that action may have initiated this problem?? While going through this Outlook issue, something told me to remove those apps from the Kindle yesterday, and now Outlook seems to be working with my original Gmail account. Who knows!
>>

Apps from the play store really shouldn't affect it - I'm more inclined to think it was the allow less secure apps settings. But who knows... stranger things have happened.
--
Diane Poremsky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree, one wouldn't suspect the app downloads would affect my PC or Outlook, but it's just 'coincidental' that I'd never had this problem until the day after I had downloaded those apps from the Google store with everything on WiFi. But not allowing less secure apps most likely was the cause. Anyway, thanks much for your time and suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2023 Views 1,744 Applies to: