Old profile photo still showing

I have changed my outlook profile photo a couple of times before but when i send myself an e-mail from outlook to another account in gmail, it shows my very old photo back in 2012/2013.

Then when i send it from a desktop to my own outlook e-mail, it will show the same in desktop BUT when I view it in my outlook app on my iPhone XR, it shows my old photo that I changed back in 2017.

My question is, why is it not synced across all platforms??? It's been years.

Hello SulaimanK

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate that you've taken the time to post your concern here in Microsoft Community Forum.   

We understand that you’re having trouble with your Outlook profile picture. Let’s work together to get to the bottom of this. 

Now in order for us to better assist you on this matter I need to ask: 

1. Can you please provide us the email domain of the account you've used in sending email from Outlook to Gmail?(ex. @outlook.com, @hotmail.com etc.).

2. How did you change your Outlook profile photo? Can you give us the step by step process?

3. Is your account a business or personal?

4. How did you access your Gmail emails that shows the old photo? ( Webmail - using a browser or Outlook app).

I personally experienced the same thing here on my end using my personal laptop. I did some test here on my end and I have an outlook.com account so I've sent an email to myself and I was able to see my profile picture that I setup online with my Microsoft account. However when I send emails to Gmail and Yahoo it didn't display my profile picture, instead it only display my initials (JJ).

The only time I've seen my profile picture in GMAIL is by updating the picture manually from the contact list and make sure you added it first as a contact person.

I also did some test with Yahoo and Gmail. I have sent an email from Yahoo to Gmail and I was able to see my Yahoo profile picture when I open the email in Gmail and vice versa. But when I send email from outlook.com to Yahoo, same exact issue nothing is showing but only the initials.

I did a thorough investigation and more research, I found out that Microsoft would only display your profile picture that you setup online through account.microsoft.com website if you are being signed in to any devices that uses your Microsoft account log in credential (ex. Windows 10 computer log in, Microsoft Office - Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word - outlook.com website to access emails etc.) any third party websites or applications that didn't use Microsoft log in, it will not display your profile picture at all.

Below is the photo that can explain everything.

I also found one issue posted here in Community way back 2020 which is related to the issue you've posted. Please check the link.

>> Wrong Contact Picture on Gmail when sending from Outlook. - Microsoft Community

Please help us raise this concern or feature to Microsoft by providing a feedback, any feedback will be highly appreciated.

>>How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office? 

I hope this answers your question.

We look forward to your response.   

Sincerely,       

Juhn Jac,       

Consumer M365 Forum Moderator 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Juhn Jac,

1. The domain was @hotmail.com

2. I went to outlook > My Microsoft Account > Clicked on my profile photo > Add a photo > Save

3. Personal account

4. Gmail app but when it's on my outlook app, it is my current photo that I changed based from 2. Additionally when I send an e-mail from outlook using my @hotmail domain to someone else, it'd be the same old photo.

Then how can I change just the hotmail photo? It's ridiculous if it's only on outlook and Microsoft account

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello SulaimanK

Thank you for getting back to us.

• Since you're using the Gmail app, may we know what device you're using? Is it Android/iOS mobile or Desktop/Laptop computer?( Windows/Mac)

The reason why I ask you this question so that I can walk you through on how to change your Hotmail email profile photo directly from Gmail. Because right now the easiest way to change contact profile photo is online through gmail.com website in that way we can sync all the changes across devices.

I can give you the step by step process on how I did it online myself. Please follow the screenshots I have provided below and use a desktop computer.

First, open a browser. Then search gmail.com and login with your Gmail account. ( This would also apply to Yahoo account etc.) Once log in completely, click on contacts icon.

Second, Click on the "open in new tab" button to open it separately on a new window.

Third, go and find your Hotmail email account on the list of contacts and make sure that your Hotmail account is already added in contact.

Then select your Hotmail account and click on " Edit".

Then click on the " + " button to add or change photo. Select your desired photo then add it then lick save and your all done!

Conclusion:

Microsoft account profile picture would only appear on apps and devices that use your Microsoft account log in. There's also a possibility why Microsoft and Gmail is not communicating is that because Gmail is a third party and Gmail also treat Microsoft as third party. They have their own system on how things should appear online or on the app. This is Google system and we do not have control over their own system and we cannot ask Google to make it possible on their end, to make it possible then we need to do it manually from their website.

We look forward to your response. If you have other clarifications about this matter, you can get back to us by replying to this post.

Sincerely,       

Juhn Jac,       

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Juhn Jac,

I have followed the steps that you have provided me and when I checked on gmail on a desktop, it shows the new picture.

But when I checked on my gmail app on my iPhone XR (iOS 14.7), it is still the old photo.

***UPDATE***

I have logged out of the account and logged back in and currently shows the changed photo.

Will now check if it's the same when I send an e-mail to someone else

***2ND UPDATE***

I have sent an e-mail to a friend of mine and it still shows my old photo.. does that mean they have to manually change on their end?

How do I change my hotmail photo permanently and remove the current one?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello SulaimanK

Thank you for getting back to us.

Can you please send us a screenshot of your Gmail application on the iPhone? Please send it via InPrivate message. I already sent you a private message please check your email and click on the link to reply.

Sincerely,       

Juhn Jac,       

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 6,283 Applies to: