Office 365 Outlook 2016 Connection to BT Server Failed

I like many others including my sister have suffered and continue to suffer from Office 365 Outlook 2016 continuously displaying a pop up box requesting input of the BT email server password, as soon as the password is entered  the input box reappears, and this happens no matter how often you input the password.

I've setup the BT account in Outlook as per advised in this URL

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/POP-and-IMAP-settings-for-Outlook-Office-365-for-business-7fc677eb-2491-4cbc-8153-8e7113525f6c

I'm using Office 365 Personal.

Myself and many others have been experiencing this problem for years, all works fine for ages, then the problem returns, I've experienced this problem with Outlook 2007 and 2016, sometimes the problem lasts for only a few hours, and at others it lasts for days.

Microsoft and BT/Yahoo need to get together and sort this out once and forever.

Failing this a method of transferring email addresses from one ISP / software provider / other email service provider, needs to be put in place, similar to transferring phone numbers between suppliers.

The MS link you quote refers to setting up an  MS Exchange mail account, not a mail account provided by a third party.

The BT mail account is I believe an IMAP type and as such in the new mail account dialogue you use the auto setup where you enter only the mail account address & your password, the account is then auto detected.

The manual setup settings are shown here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incoming-bt-email-servers%3F

Its also the case that your internet security utility can cause problems such as you experience.

This isn't an MS or Outlook issue, its caused by either your system & installed utilities or a BT issue

You can use this MS Utility run against Outlook to see if it finds problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36852

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the advice Palcouk, I've already visited the URL that you very kindly passed on, unfortunately the settings didn't work.

Your correct that I need to connect using IMAP rather than POP as I'll be using multi platforms and devices.

My btopenworld.com email address isn't shown or connected to my BT broadband account (and I don't use a btinternet.com address as I've used my btopenworld.com email address for years and changing email addresses isn't a satisfactory option for me), BT use btinternet.com addresses now, and their system does not seem to allow the btopenworld.com address to be included in their system?

After days of frustrating searching for IMAP settings that work (as a matter of interest the btopenworld.com address had been working fine with Outlook 2016 until a few days ago, then I was forced to use BT's web based email browser), and BT's help desk input, I setup a btinternet.com email address from my account, Outlook 2016 set the account automatically and I was able to send and receive emails from this address without any problems whatsoever.

I then input the setting from the btinternet.com account into my btopenorld.com account, and as per expected it failed to work, I then got on to the Ombudsman and copied BT my findings in setting up a new btinternet.com email address that works faultlessly, and that using the exact same settings the btopenworld.com address didn't work.

Today the btopenworld.com address is working faultlessly in Outlook 2016.

I'll look at the MS utility and will keep the URL should I need it in the future, given that everything is working OK at the moment I'll leave all well alone $-)

For the record Incoming and outgoing mail servers are mail.btinternet.com, tick remember password, outgoing server tick My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, incoming server (IMAP) 993, encryption SSL, Outgoing server (SMTP) 465, encryption SSL. Both my btinternet.com and btopenworld.com email accounts are using these settings and are working fine, hopefully the btopenworld.com address will no longer suffer from the login problem that keeps springing up its head so frustratingly. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Spoken too soon, btopenworld.com login problem has returned, and when it does logon I get failure 0x8004210B operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending SMTP server "contact your ISP"

BT are scheduled to phone me at 18:30 I'll update this board on the outcome.

Anyone else suffering from this problem?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2024 Views 2,020 Applies to: