Not able to get the option to login as a different user in Outlook when signing into Shared Mailbox

We had converted a couple exchange mailboxes on 365 to shared mailboxes that users were logged into on Outlook. When we did so we wanted to log into those shared mailboxes to add them as accounts basically. To do this you use the option in the password prompt to log in as different user. The reason for this is because searching that mailbox does not work when searching outside the mailbox using "Search all Mailboxes. Microsoft has confirmed the issue it seems and this was their work around.

Anyways when we converted these exchange accounts, we went to the users Outlooks and it was asking for the exchange password for that account (I guess it was still thinking it was a exchange account?). I went and removed the account from Outlook and relaunched Outlook and the now shared mailbox was there correctly. Again the next steps now are to add the account manually instead of using the automapping. But when we type the email in, it goes to the password section and only offers change password and no sign in as different user option.

We have tried turning on the cached mode, deleting the old exchange OST file, tried turning off "Use Cached Exchange Mode" under the advanced settings in Account settings, Nothing in credentials manager. When adding myself as a member and letting automap do its thing then trying to login gives me the option fine. The only difference I can see there is they were signed in to the exchange account when converting the shared mailbox.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Sam Island,

Good day.

Thank for posting in the community.

We've received your query and you can expect to receive response from one of our community moderator accordingly.

At this point, we appreciate your patience and cooperation. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Community moderator 

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sam Island,

Thank you for posting this case in Microsoft Community!

Based on your description: Not able to get the option to login as a different user in Outlook when signing into Shared Mailbox. I would like to cooperate with you working on this case. To clarify this case, this is normal behavior that one normal account set up in Outlook client and then converted into shared mailbox which will not get the option to login as a different user in Outlook. Currently, there are two methods to configure shared mailbox in Outlook client: (1). Automapping with permission assigned. (2). Manually adding to your primary email account profile. You may check this article as reference Open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook.

For your case, it is recommended that you need to remove the old Outlook profile which already converted into shared mailbox in your Outlook and then manually add to your another primary account profile. To create new outlook profile, see Create an Outlook profile - Microsoft Support

To answer your question, when you add a shared mailbox or a delegate mailbox as a secondary mailbox in outlook for windows, since outlook treat the shared mailbox as a normal user mailbox, it will ask you to enter a password. Therefore, you need to enter the primary mailbox password to add the shared mailbox. Let's say you have Userabc@domain.com and you have full access permission for the shared mailbox sharedabc@domain.com, so that, you can enter the password of Userabc@domain.com to add the sharedabc@domain.com in Outlook as a secondary mailbox. Here are the steps you may try:

1. Disable automapping on a primary mailbox using PowerShell, you can refer to Remove automapping for a shared mailbox - Outlook | Microsoft Learn

2. After disabling automapping, please open your Outlook>File>Add account>Enter your shared mailbox email address as username and use your primary mailbox password to sign in. Then, check if the shared mailbox added as a separate mailbox in the account settings. To check this, Go to File>Account settings>Account settings>Under Email Tab, check if the shared mailbox listed as additional mailbox.

Hope the above workaround would be helpful. If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know, I will keep assisting you.

Your understanding and patience will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Community Moderator.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eleni,

The procedure and steps for adding a shared / delegate mailbox as additional email account in Outlook are correct, but the issue is that when you get a prompt for password it automatically picks a shared mailbox UPN / email address and there is no option to 'Sign in as different user'.

This issue happens only for the users who previously worked on that computer with that account before it was converted to a shared mailbox. if you login to another workstation (you have never before) - it would work and give a prompt for 'Sign in as different user',

However it is not a solution to rebuild a windows user profile for that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

we have the same Problem.

The Users have delegated Access to Mailboxes (Full Access and Send As), which are added as a seperate Accounts in Outlook.

The access used to work from the users own Account. Recently it prompts for the delegated Mailbox Credentials (and cant change UPN to login though their own account).

This is a serious problem for us, as it effects a couple dozen users so far (growing continuously)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Our customer has the same issue, there is no option to sign in as the primary user despite removing auto mapping. Fortunately it works on the user's RDS server profile at the moment but not from their Windows 11 PCs.

The RDS server is on semi annual Enterprise channel version 2308 Build 16731.20600, their workstation is currently on 2402 build 17328.20184. The ability to open and search multiple mailboxes is critical for them. Rebuilding machines is not a practical option and probably would not work for long anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have exactly the same issue as you. It seems a new Windows user profile / would fix - but this is too extreme (and not an option if the user profile is Entra Joined already - I would have to reinstall the OS). There must be something present in the registry to cause this behaviour? I have deleted everything from the registry that I can find referencing the (now shared) email account that I am trying to add, but it's not working.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK we have a fix!

Simply run this on the affected machine - https://aka.ms/SaRA-OfficeActivation-Reset

This involves signing out of your Office applications, when it says "you are already activated" - press yes to continue. Then perform.

After it has reset your activation status, open Outlook (or another Office application) and sign in with your primary account that you want to activate the Office apps with.

Re-open the Office application and confirm signed in and activated.

Now add the secondary account into Outlook, and you will see the "sign in with another account" option!

The issue appears to relate to when you have previously activated Office apps on this machine with the account which you now want to add as a shared mailbox. Running this tool removes the traces, allowing you to get that missing option.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunally, this did not help me any at all.

To make my Problem more clear for others, I have attached 2 Screenshots.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Facing the exact same problem, the option to sign in as a different user is missing. Already tried to delete profile, signing out of everything - doesn't help.

This is a serious problem, as adding mailboxes when automapping is disabled is not possible right now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried my fix above? This has worked in 100% of cases. It's because you have previously activated Office apps with an account that is now a shared mailbox.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2024 Views 984 Applies to: