New Outlook.com has forced my email address to all CAPS

I was forced by Microsoft to reinstall my email account in outlook. I am still using my Hotmail account. The issue is now my entire email address is all in CAPS. How can I change my email address to mixed case?

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2020 Views 4,927 Applies to:

An email server ignores the case of letters in email addresses.

You could change the case like this and it would be the same address.

WaYnEkAuFmAn @OuTlOok.CoM

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was not clear enough. It is not the email address, it is the Displayed name in front of the email address. Also I do not use Outlook as my domain. I use Hotmail.com. So here is my example of what I see  WAYNE KAUFMAN <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

I use to use the Hotmail connector in Outlook, but that no longer work, so now I have an exchange account and only an exchange admin can change the "Displayed Name". I have correct the displayed name online at my Outlook Profile, but that does not help because only an admin can change it in exchange. So how do I email the admin?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever get the display name in all caps issue resolved?  Same thing happens to me when sending out an email.  The From field is all caps instead of mixed case.

Sorry this didn't help.

No I received no answer. Everybody I email, thinks I am yelling at them.

Sorry this didn't help.

No I received no answer. Everybody I email, thinks I am yelling at them.
Thanks.  I guess I won't be holding my breath waiting for this to be fixed.   I wanted to switch to using microsoft for email, because Verizon email isn't that great...but apparently I guess Verizon isn't alone in not being that great.  Ha!   :) 

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE:  This solution WORKED!!!!!

Here's what I did:

1)  Go to outlook.com and sign in.  NOTE:  do this on a computer, NOT a mobile device.   

2)  In the upper right corner you see an icon (the one that when you click on, it shows your name and email address, as well as your status such as 'away' 'available' etc.)

3) Click on that icon.   A drop-down menu will appear.   Choose Edit Profile, and change your First Name to just your first initial (but lowercase).   Change your last name to just your last initial (but lowercase).

4)  You'll notice that after you save, and you click on the SAME icon again IN THE OUTLOOK MAIL PAGE. ,  it will STILL show your First and Last name in uppercase letters.   (That's because the change you just made doesn't get fully integrated into the system right away)

5)  Eventually (likely sometime during the next day)  the new name consisting of just your first and last initials in lowercase will finally stick (be fully integrated into the system) and when you send out an email that now shows up as your name.

6)   Go back into the Edit Profile from the outlook.com email page....same way you got to it before.... and change back to your regular First and Last name but not all capitals.   It won't stick right away, but  it will eventually (maybe not until sometime the next day) get fully integrated into the system and you name will now be mixed case when sending out an email.

7) The key is to first change your name to something other than your regular first and last name, and wait for that to eventually stick (and confirm by sending out emails).   Then, you just change it back to your regular name, but not be all capitals, .   If you fail to first change it something else (like your first and last initial)....and fail to wait for that to stick first....then it definitely won't work.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

See my detailed post I just recently made for a 'trick' I discovered that, believe it or not, actually worked for me.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.