New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.

2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.

3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello LeeMan888 Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today. It would have been helpful had you included the link to the thread you are referring to get a frame of reference. That aside, without knowing anything else, just a few points of clsrification #1 - The "new Outlook" does not support POP accounts or PST files #2 - The "new Outlook" is not a replacement of the Outlook desktop program (part of Office). It is completely separate and distinct. It IS a replacement of the Windows 10 / 11 Mail / People / Calendar app To make sure we are both referring to the same things, I have an article that shows the various things that people refer to as Outlook. Basics: Identifying YOUR Outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/basics-identifying-your-outlook/10cad812-2a15-4277-8aa3-f53d4388c752 #3 - In reference to the issues regarding adding accounts, I would suggest treating that separately once there is a clear understanding of which "Outlook" this is all in reference to because right now I find it a tad confusing. #4 - Both the Outlook desktop program and the "new Outlook" programs have their own unique icons in the Windows Start menu as shown in the attached screenshot https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/a8d0ee84-8d9a-4c11-9123-0b68f352c3e4?upload=true&fud_access=TCzq1iDpL2dhiKv23orFMKYsqTi7BThO9hhxOgfxBWkGV96L68iVUgNBLXze0tRjYkye1IuDptX%2F%2BqfVCeZh424CcGjiVYQPPFS8YKA2ZfgESyhCe8mEXuTmeCWdTfQEBeBo48iv27qMyqXJ2nuseClCuA4k0OE3q3gFSxj9HURAyRujWlBHnuYYe%2F96vWpoEXVk3vHuvsiKIsah9qtZrZnVgc%2FzdXXEvLDJBAff2s23Fz3gi%2BLRVV3AjKWnnZOt1opA8arEjE%2BEHidzx04KwIILRDMRVXmv3hBsofNRmCaN2N2NFRt%2FVlv764bFNjrrGwNGkKcSKziujA7iO%2Fu1NKW4zGAMcbTVBoKcvlrpH5W%2F9%2BZSQrcFi8aF29R4dpqOuZVCt6%2BVyLcSuQ3A3FhDf2av5jlC5vX1S%2BC292H064g%3D I look forward to your response so we can proceed further.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Clearly it doesn't support POP and PST - so isn't this a loss of functionality for users such as me ?

Previous thread

Settings Outlook

Windows 10

Error message adding an outlook email account. Similar error message for GMAIL email account.

Local PST file stored on Windows PC.

So I restate that it would seem that the functionality many users seem to required, that has been in use for many many years, is no longer available for Outlook users. BUT Microsoft apps allow save to local drive.

Thank you for your assist.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First, just so there is no misunderstanding, this is a public user-to-user support forum. We're users helping other users. We do not work for Microsoft and have no input on Microsoft's policies, procedures, or design decisions. With that said, just to make sure that we focus on one thing at a time ---------- Clearly it doesn't support POP and PST - so isn't this a loss of functionality for users such as me ? --------- As stated, the: new Outlook" is not intended as a replacement of the Outlook desktop program. It is a replacement for those using the Win 10 / 11 Mail / People / Calendar app. It doesn't come close to offering the features of the Outlook desktop app As for the errors you are encountering, just to confirm, these occurred when adding an account to the Outlook desktop - is that correct? Going by the screenshot of the Outlook Navigation Pane (left panel otherwise called the folder list, it shows you have one data file configured using a non-standard data file name? How was that data file added? When Outlook adds a new account, it will add the email address of the email account if it is creating the data file for the account, something this is automatic for IMAP and Exchange accounts as well as for POP accounts if not configured to use an exiting PST file. So to focus on this issue only, #1 - What do you show when looking at your configured email accounts - is there n account configured and if yes, how (POP, IMAP, Exchange)?? To check, from within Outlook, go to File -- Account Settings -- Account Settings -- Email tab Also, to confirm, What type (OST or PST) of data file is configured in Outlook? File -- Account Settings -- Account Settings -- Data Files tab #2 - What email account were you trying to add that generated the error (jut provide the part of the email address that follows the @ character) and what steps exactly did you follow to add the account? More specifically, was it added by just entering the email address / password for the account or did you manually configure it by entering the email account settings. Once there is a clearer picture of your environment, will be better able to provide a more specific answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for your patience.

Checked the account setting. It's not an email account. It shows as a .PST file under the Data Files tab in Account settings

Was trying to add *** Email address is removed for privacy *** email account when I encountered the error in my previous reply. I did try add as BOTH Microsoft Office and Outlook.com automatically. Also tried adding manually using the following server settings. Both methods generated the same error message.

IMAP server

outlook.office365.com

IMAP port

IMAP encryption

TLS

POP server name

outlook.office365.com

POP port

POP encryption

TLS

SMTP server name

smtp-mail.outlook.com

SMTP port

SMTP encryption

STARTTLS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You shouldn't need to select any account type when adding an Outlook.com acount. All you would need to do is enter the email address / password for the account assuming that the primary alias for this account is a Microsoft based email address (@Outlook @Hotmail @Live @MSN) and that is the email address you are using to add the account. What I would suggest to simplify this is to create a new Outlook profile using the Control Panel Mail app and configure the account again ------------------- a) - With Outlook closed open the Control Panel <Mail> app Just in case you need info regarding how to access the Control Panel Mail app, that's described in the following article by Outlook MVP Diane Poremsky Where is the Control Panel Mail icon? https://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/where-is-the-mail-icon/ If using Windows 11 How to Open Control Panel in Windows 11 https://www.lifewire.com/open-control-panel-in-windows-11-5193187 b) - Select <Show profile=""> --> <Add> --> give the new profile a name c) - Configure your email account(s) d) - Set the newly created Outlook profile as the default for the next time Outlook is opened otherwise it'll use the old profile Required Forum Disclaimer: The above links are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it. --------------------- </Add></Show></Mail>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Following step a) in your reply, I was able to add an email account via Control Panel BUT Outlook won't open. I checked a profile exists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

#1 - Assuming that you created a NEW Outlook profile, have you confirmed that you set the new profile as the default the next time Outlook was opened as described in step (d) in those instructions? #2 - How (POP, IMAP, Exchange_ is this account configured in the new profile? #3 - Did you do anything other than configure the email account?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again

Note-I have erased personal info in the pics below. They ere entered as required.

I tried to create a new profile 1st

This took me to account set up

IMAP settings used plus error message

New profile could NOT be set up.

So did nothing other than tried setting up a new profile to add a new account.........

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are configurig an Outlook.cm account, may I ask why you are trying to a) set it up manuallu instead of just entering the email address / password for the accoimt? b( trying to set it up as an IMAP account?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Sorry for the confusion. I did try BOTH "Email account" and "manual setup or additional server types" for this outlook.com email account automatically BUT

neither worked.

Adding using the email type, at least added the email account successfully.

However BOTH returned the following error message. In the automatic setup, I could add the outlook.com account AND could add a new default profile. In the manual effort, I couldn't add the email account AND couldn't add the new profile.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 35,003 Applies to: