New Outlook Not Syncing Read Status for Gmail

Hi, I'm running the new version of Outlook on Windows 11, and have connected to both my Uni (O365) and Gmail (Microsoft Cloud). O365 works fine, but the Gmail account doesn't sync read status back to gmail. I.e. outlook gets the correct read status from Gmail, and it syncs things like starring/flagging emails back to Gmail. But although I can mark things as read in Outlook, that status never syncs back to Gmail. The same is true on 3 different PCs, so it's not peculiar to one particular computer.

Any ideas?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you clear the blue unread status by clicking the email or by clearing the small envelope icon on the email, it will NOT clear unread status on the gmail account. However, if you select one or more emails then select "mark as unread" then select "mark as read" in the X items selected panel to the right, it will clear unread status in the gmail account. A bit of a pain but a way to get by until they fix this.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks RobertCrick1. Just to confirm that this works but only for multiple messages. To recap for people having this issue in new Outlook (as of Sep 24, 2023), read/unread status will sync with Gmail only if you select more than one message. To replicate the issue on a PC:

- Open New Outlook, and open Gmail in Chrome.

- View a couple or more Gmail messages in the New Outlook. They will become read in Outlook but when you check Gmail in Chrome, they are still unread.

- Go back to Outlook, and select those same messages that did not sync. (You are selecting multiple messages by clicking the radio button on the left of the message heading in the message list pane. The radio button shows up when you hover the mouse over the sender's initials).

- Right-click on one of the selected message for the menu, click to 'Mark as unread' first, then click to 'Mark as read'. (This action will apply to all the messages selected).

- Go to Gmail in Chrome and those messages will now be marked as read.

- Note that only the action to 'Mark as read/unread' works when selected from the right-click menu. It does not work when you select multiple messages and change their status by clicking the envelope icons on those selected messages.

So it looks like the new Outlook is actually able to sync read/unread status with Gmail, which means that some aspect of the IMAP protocol works, but only when multiple messages are selected and when the status is changed only through the right-click menu.

Does it even need to be said that this is embarrassing for Microsoft. This level of inconsistency of programming in a major app for email is below the level of a mediocre computer science student. Even if this issue has to do with something on Gmail's end, the Outlook programmers should have figured it out.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, ever since it was possible to add gmail accounts to the new Outlook. Reported it to the Feedback Hub immediately, but nothing has been done with this. Seems like a pretty basic feature, and one that was working fine in the Windows Mail app. Perhaps have a look at that source, to see how that team handled it, Microsoft?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. I ended up switching back to the older version of Windows 10 Mail (16005) and provided feedback when prompted. No response yet.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue. I read all the emails and then right-click the inbox folder and mark all as read. That seems to work also.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here also. For the sake of having the information, here are my current version numbers.

You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2023.927.100 (Production). Client Version is 20230922005.25 .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having the same issue. would love to actually get a fix

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's safe to assume this feature is not supported at this time. Which is unfortunate and I hope it gets reolved later.

It's a huge annoyance for me because I may use outlook ok my pc and gmail app on my phone or web client on another instance and it looks like I have leagues of unread messages.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue both on my personal PC (Windows 11) and work pc (Windows 10). It's quite frustrating...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave up and switched to Mozilla Thunderbird. It works better for me and omits the ads.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 5,322 Applies to: