New outlook for windows not able to sign in

When trying the new outlook for windows app, it starts the sign in process but gets an error "We couldn't find a work or school account with that email address". This is my personal PC but I may have signed into work at some point with it. I've checked Settings - Accounts - Access work or school and there is no account connected there.

Not sure if its related but I had a problem with Teams in that is would hang when starting but I removed the app and reinstalled and it works fine now.

Hi Jim, Thank you for posting on the forum today. I’m Bambi, a user like you and I’ll be happy to assist you. I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble signing in to the new Outlook for Windows app. This error may occur if your email address is not recognized as a personal Microsoft account or an Office 365 work or school account. Are you using an account with a domain name? Does this issue happen when you toggle back to classic Outlook? Have you also tried uninstalling new outlook and installing it again to see if it makes any difference? Here is how to do this: To uninstall new Outlook: From the Start menu, select new Outlook for Windows. Select the arrow to expand the list option in Start. Select Uninstall to begin the uninstall process. To reinstall new Outlook: Open classic Outlook for Windows. In the top corner, you'll see a toggle to Try the new Outlook New Outlook for Windows toggle. Select this toggle to download the new app and you will switch to the new Outlook for Windows. I pulled the steps from this article https://support.microsoft.com/office/241bb0fc-b201-4bb2-98d3-74750a27029e I hope this helps. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. Best Regards, Bambi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bambi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using an email address with a domain name. I have a laptop and a desktop, new outlook works fine on the desktop but not the laptop.

The old windows mail app works fine. before and after toggling back to it. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the new outlook and just tried again but still the same error.

I have a 365 subscription and tried the 365 outlook and have no problem with that either.

My old employer did have work profiles setup on their equipment ( I had a work laptop) but this is my personal laptop which I may have used for something work related so my feeling is that there some residual setup/ini/registry entry from that employer that is messing this up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response Jim. I am not sure of specific registry values that can be changed seeing as it doesn’t have the same problem in the classic Outlook. It’s also not a problem with your account as you mentioned, it works on your computer. Could you try an in-place upgrade, this fixes any unknown software issues you might otherwise have on your system. If you’re willing to try it, do you have windows 10/11 so I can help you with the steps?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 786 Applies to: