My saved e-mail draft disappeared -- Can it be recovered?

Hi, I was working on a draft in Outlook for two hours and saved it repeatedly during that time.  After saving it for a final time, I closed the draft by navigating to my Inbox, and I briefly created another draft, which I also saved.

I then tried to upload some images to SkyDrive.  When I came back to retrieve the first draft to attach the Skydrive images, it was gone!

This was a matter of maybe 10-20 minutes. (The second draft was there but not the first one.)

Just to be clear, I absolutely did not overwrite the draft or delete it, and I had successfully saved it numerous times.  It just vanished after navigating to SkyDrive. (Even if it had been accidentally deleted it would be in the deleted folder, but it wasn't.)

Just to be sure it didn't end up in a different folder I checked all the following:

My drafts, sent, and deleted folders.  I tried the "recover" option in the deleted folder even though I did not double delete anything.  Nothing was recovered.  I also checked adjacent folders in case it was accidentally dragged to the wrong folder.

I searched my entire Outlook for the e-mail using the subject, recipient, and keywords, all without success.

I've tried looking in my history, and cannot find the draft.

This draft just disappeared without any explanation.  This is extremely frustrating because I spent two hours working on the draft and then another two hours looking for it and trying to recover it.

Can you please explain why this happens?  Is this a known issue in Outlook because I see that others have had this same problem?  Is there a way to recover my draft?

I saved the draft yesterday morning -- on 7/7/13 -- and since that time I have not closed Outlook and have not cleared my history, cache, or temporary internet files, since I thought the draft could be recoverable from there.

I have never had this happen before, and it seems like a "hiccup" in the system.  I hope the draft is recoverable, and if so, I would greatly appreciate if you can help me recover it.

At the time I was using Mozilla Firefox 21.0, and the draft was an e-mail reply.  If you need me to provide the account, subject and recipient in a private message, I can do that.

I have also checked using I.E. but no luck.

Thank you very much.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Wingnut_1,

Let me help you with your concern. There is a possibility that you accidentally moved your draft email to another folder. We would like you to try to search for it. 

To search a specific email using subject line or title, you can use Advanced search feature in Outlook.com. Please follow the steps below on how to do it:

1. Sign in to www.outlook.com.

2. In you inbox, click the Search email bar at the top of "Folders" and click Advanced search.

3. Under "Advanced search," you can now use subject or keywords to search emails.

4. Click Search.

If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

88 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I don't mean to be blunt, but do you guys even read our posts or do you just have automated answers that you provide without regard for the information that we provided?  It has happened numerous times where I give as much detailed information in my first post as possible, including all steps that have already been tried, so as not to waste time going back and forth.

However, I often get answers from the moderators that tell me to do something that I already stated that I did (or cannot do).  I hope you understand that this is frustrating for us (this is a common complaint amongst users in these forums).

Not only is doing a search an obvious first step, I clearly stated in my message above that I already searched my entire Outlook.  Please see above:

"I searched my entire Outlook for the e-mail using the subject, recipient, and keywords, all without success."

Yet, your answer was to suggest searching when I already said that I exhausted my search capabilities:

I searched all of Outlook using the Recipient.
I searched all of Outlook using the Subject.
I searched all of Outlook using various different keywords in the body of the message.

All without luck.

I also did not attempt to move the file in any way.  The steps were:

• I was writing the draft and successfully saved it numerous times during writing.
  • I successfully saved it as a draft at the end of writing.
  • I navigated away from the message by going back to my Inbox.
  • I did NOT get a warning message advising that I was navigating away from the page and about to throw away the message. (I get this warning if the draft hasn't been saved, so lack of the warning further confirmed it was saved.)
  • At that point it should have been in my Drafts folder.  And at the very least, ONE of the saved versions should have been there since I saved it numerous times.
  • After closing it for the final time, I did not reopen or move the message. I did not even go to the Drafts folder.
  • I opened a "new" blank draft from the inbox, edited it and successfully saved it. (Note that I did not accidentally overwrite the first draft with the second.  This would be impossible since I completely closed the first draft, went to my Inbox and opened a new blank draft by clicking on the "New" button.  It was blank when I opened it and began editing.)
  • I navigated to SkyDrive to upload files.
  • I navigated back to Drafts to retrieve the first message to attach the SkyDrive files, and it was not in the Drafts folder.
  • I searched for it everywhere and cannot find it.  It simply disappeared.
  • It was not visibly in my Drafts folder, my Inbox, my Sent folder, my Delete folder, or any adjacent subfolders.
  • It did not turn up in an extensive "Search".
  • This happened in the morning.  I tried to review "History" at the end of the day with no luck.
  • This has never happened before.
How could this have happened and is there any way to retrieve my message?

Thank you for trying to help.

I have read that others' messages have disappeared without a trace as well.  I realize that this could possibly be user error in some cases.  However, I assure you that is not the case all the time, and certainly not this time. I was very careful to save my message several times, and I did NOT accidentally delete or overwrite the message.  There was no way for me to even have done that with the steps that I took, and it wasn't in the Delete folder anyway.

I hope the message is retrievable.  If not, MS techs need to look into this Outlook glitch because it's not acceptable to have our messages simply vanish after hours of work.  I have now wasted 1/2 a day on writing and trying to recover this message.

Thank you.

468 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Wingnut_1,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We understand that you have already tried the recovery option and was still unable to recover the missing draft. If this is the case, we would like to inform you that the missing draft can no longer be recovered since it has already been purged from the system.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you.

Johan

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. 

I saved a draft several times as I worked on it and the saves were confirmed.  Now that I want to send it, I can't find it, and it's not in Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Deleted.  Nor does it restore to Deleted and I have enabled that feature.  Nor does it return on an advanced search by intended recipient or keyword.  Nor does it show up when I check ALL my folders manually.

It was a personal email and I'm very concerned it has been sent out to God-knows-whom.

Please help.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi kmckeon,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community Forum. I'm glad to assist you with your issue that you cannot recover a saved draft on your account even if you have tried ti restore it. Please be informed that if you have tried the advance search and restore deleted emails to find the saved draft but still cannot see it, it is possible that it has been purged by the system. Also if the emails from drafts folder already been sent it will be removed there and will be saved on the sent folder.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Vivien_M,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Can you please explain how a draft -- which has been confirmed as saved -- disappears WITHOUT going to the Deleted folder and without being recoverable to that folder using the activated recovery feature?

That way I can avoid the disappearance of drafts in the future.

Many thanks again.

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi kmckeon,

As mentioned by my colleague, Vivien_M., an email that is saved in the Draft folder will be moved to the sent folder after it has been sent. There is a possibility that the email disappeared from that folder because it was already sent to its recipient. In that case, the email will not be recovered through the self-recovery feature since it was not moved to the Deleted folder. However, if the saved email has no recipient, it should stay in the Draft folder.

Furthermore, we would like to verify if the issue happened when saving the draft on the web-based Outlook.com or via mail client as emails will not be recovered via recovery link if they were deleted from email clients like Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Office Outlook, etc.

If you have other questions or clarifications, please let us know.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your prompt reply, RoseKatrina_H,

I agree that a draft that was never sent should stay in the Drafts folder.  But this one just disappeared without ever being sent and without appearing in Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, or Deleted. 

Nor does it restore to Deleted even though I have enabled that feature.  Nor does it return on an advanced search by intended recipient or keyword.  Nor does it show up when I check ALL my folders manually.

That's the question:  how does a draft just disappear without going to some other folder first?  I see from the Community that this is a frequent problem.

Thanks again for any info that can help avoid this again in the future.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi kmckeon,

Thank you for getting back to us. It is possible that drafts has been deleted or disappear due to the account has hijacked or hacked. Also, it is possible that it can be due to virus, malware or anti virus installed on  your computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Vivien_M,

Thanks again for the quick response.

It is possible that somebody hacked into my account and did nothing but delete a single draft of a personal letter.  But I doubt it.  And I've changed my password in any case.

I'm actually in IT, and it is natural to assume the odd problem is user error or "a virus".  Until the large number of complaints indicates that dependable users on virus-free systems are also having trouble.

In this case, though, how would my anti-virus software on my local computer, for example, purge a draft from the outlook.com servers?

Many thanks as always for your help.

82 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 210,128 Applies to: