My Outlook 365 email is based on Last Modified Date, not Received date.

I am using Office 365 with Outlook. 

I am trying to do autoarchive and manual archive for my email. As I just recently sync my email with POP3 settings last 2 weeks (lets make it 10th August 2020), the last modified date is of course 10th August 2020. I have email all the way back to 2017.

I tried AutoArchive and manual archive for the last 90 days, nothing will be archived nor removed from my original email account in outlook. 

I tried to use "Mailbox Cleanup" whereby it has a feature to search for email that is older than xx days.

Again, I put 90 days in this option and no email found. Then, I changed the option to older than 10 days, all email from 2017 to 2020 appear.

This proves that Outlook is actually reading the "Last Modified Date" instead of "Received Date". For this, how can I change the settings so that it will archive based on "Received Date"?

Answer
Answer

Hi ProBabym

Thank you for all the steps you have did amid with the information given, glad to assist you. 

If you want to let Outlook to archive items based on the received date, you need to set the ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime registry value.

Since serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, please back up registry in Windows first:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

To create the ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime registry value, follow these steps:

1. Press Win + R to start Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences 

1. On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, type ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime, and then press ENTER.
  2. Right-click ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime, and then click Modify.
  3. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  4. Exit Registry Editor and restart Outlook to make the registry take effect.

Once the registry key is added, check if Outlook archives the items properly. We can try manually archiving:

Go to FILE tab -> Info -> Cleanup Tools -> Archive, select the folders that you want to archive and archive criteria, click OK. Outlook should then archive the items based on the received date.

Please let me know how it helps.

Regards,

George

------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 3,105 Applies to: