Must the Outlook for Windows sign in be the same user name email as the Windows sign in?

I am trying to figure out why, when on my laptop, I log into the newly downloaded Outlook for Windows, get verified, see everything in the app, and then see Access Denied, repeatedly.

It could well be just general growing pains for the software, and there are other reports, but I wonder if I am also making a rookie mistake, as follows.

Microsoft allows only one primary email address per Microsoft account, and best I can tell the login user name has to be the email address preceding the domain.

I set up a second Microsoft account in order to get a second primary email address. However, the laptop is still logging into Windows with the user name based on my initial Microsoft account.

So does the following work, or not?

(1) Computer logs into Windows under one MS account.

(2) I log into Microsoft online using a second MS account.

(3) I log into Outlook for Windows using the second Microsoft account.

In other words, do the Windows login (email-derived user name), and the Microsoft account web login, and the Outlook for Windows login have to be all the same?

Or, once I login to Microsoft online, is it sufficient that this login match the Outlook for Windows login?

|

Hi TF_950,

Thanks for writing us here in Microsoft Community.

I understand you're having troubles in Outlook New due to the error you encountered. Accounts that is signed in to your Windows PC and Outlook actually doesn't have to be the same to be able to use Outlook. However. if you activated your Office apps with a different Microsoft account, it might need to ask for a Windows Hello PIN for security. We actually receive lots of users who encountered this issue, and we are still collating more threads on this. Let's go ahead and explore some options.

I'd like to ask you the following.

1. May we know the version and build of Outlook are you using?

2. May we also know the version and build of your Windows?

3. When did you start to encounter this issue and what changes has been made prior to the issue?

There is a relevant Community thread where a user named @Omar confirmed that he managed to resolve the issue by reverting to Classic Outlook. See this article for reference: Toggling out of the new Outlook for Windows preview - Microsoft Support

Also, he added that adding Windows Hello PIN or fingerprint allows him to access his Outlook as well. Please refer to this article for your guide on how to enable Windows Hello: Learn about Windows Hello and set it up - Microsoft Support

Please try the options that @Omar suggested and please give us some updates on how it goes. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Froilance T.

Community Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 25 Applies to: