Microsoft Payment Central - SCAM SPAM

Be aware all, there is an email circulating asking individuals (with their MSN Email) to log in to Microsoft Payment Central to process a refund. Ive had it confirmed from Microsoft that it is a SCAM email. I was nearly duped as i am one of those individuals that may be getting a refund for my Band 2.

Take care all

Discussion Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 1,901 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

did they confirm anything about when the official refund is actually coming? there has been no further communication regarding band refunds since the first shutdown notice, and between us there is at least two people who were expecting such an email - coincidence? It's not exactly been a secret that I also own a band / band 2 but that would imply this is quite a sophisticated targeted scam.

I thought to check before logging into this given the 2 day time limit - that raised alarm bells for me so as always attempted to locate the appropriate page without clicking on the email links - luckily the post above was the first result.

Thanks.

So I received a second, follow-up email this morning from Microsoft Payment Central since I deleted the first one. I too had a Microsoft Band. I guess I will classify this one as phishing in junk mail.

They were persistent, so I checked again. Microsoft website has zero references regarding Pament Central. Besides, Microsoft already has my credentials for my Office 365 subscription.

Be aware all, there is an email circulating asking individuals (with their MSN Email) to log in to Microsoft Payment Central to process a refund. Ive had it confirmed from Microsoft that it is a SCAM email. I was nearly duped as i am one of those individuals that may be getting a refund for my Band 2.

Take care all

Please also see the question/response below. I received the same email and wasn't certain whether I was even eligible for a refund, so was immediately suspicious.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-got-an-e-mail-from-microsoft-payment-central/0206db3a-00a7-40c7-9949-6d6389d75eba

Though it doesn't sound like true spam / fishing, this person was also given advice NOT to follow the link and set up your payee information in Microsoft Payment Center, as that isn't how the refunds are being processed. I will keep an eye out for the supposed May 31, 2019 email and see where it leads from there!

Below is the text of my email in case it is of use to those searching this question.

Microsoft Payment Central

[My name]

Dear [My Name],

This is a reminder that you have been identified as a recipient of a pending refund, rebate, or partner payment from Microsoft.

In order to receive this payment, please provide your payment information by completing the below steps within the next two (2) business days.

Next Steps:

Go to [link]

Sign in with the email address at which you received this message

Complete required information

Submit

Note: If this email address does not correspond to a Microsoft Account, you will need to set it up as a Microsoft Account. Click “Sign Up Now” at the bottom of the login page to set up your Microsoft Account. For more information regarding Microsoft Accounts, visit ourhelp page.

If you have any questions regarding your payee invite, please reach out to your Microsoft Business Contact/Customer Service Representative. If you require assistance using the Microsoft Payment Central tool, please visit the Microsoft Payment Central Frequently Asked Questions Page. Otherwise, you may Request Support.

Thank you for your cooperation with this process. We value your business and are working diligently to release your pending payment.

Microsoft Accounts Payable Help Desk

The security certificate for the site was issued my Microsoft.
Same text received here, assumed it was a scam. Thanks for the heads-up.

I too have had the same email asking me to log onto Microsoft Payment Central.

Had it twice, deleted first one, second received today says I have two days to action

I am expecting a Band 2 refund !

I will wait for more news...

Phil

HI, I am really confused, I to thought this was a scam and from your comments feel it is.  However, just been on live chat with Microsoft and they are saying that the email address is an microsoft email... but haven't sent out any emails yet.  So by the sounds of it not all agents know about this, can anyone else confirm as to whether they have spoken with Microsoft and what there replies have been.  Thanks in advance

Well, the link appears to be valid, paymentcentral.microsoft.com is within the Microsoft domain, the certificate appears to be ok. Also, Microsoft have posted a webpage explaining what Payment Central is, also on the Microsoft domain.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/procurement/payment-central.aspx

So, unless Microsoft's been hacked, I can't see this being a scam. Strang MS then say it is :/

Serpentbane
I've deleted the mail, but hovering over the link it didn't go to the paymentcentral.microsoft.com (which is real, has a cert etc) but to a click.somewhere link. I doubt it would do you any harm to register at payment central, just do it directly, not via the e-mail.

True, the adress is click.email.microsoftemail.com

microsoftemail.com is owned my Microsoft. The link forwards directly to paymentcentral.microsoft.com.

Serpentbane