Messages not sending in Outlook Android App -- stuck in outbox

A few days ago my messages stopped sending my emails. I was wondering why no one was responding to emails and turns out it is because they are all getting stuck in the "outbox" folder of my outlook app. I receive no error message, the messages simply don't do anything and sit in the outbox folder. I have tried syncing my account, and my internet connection is working with everything else on my phone. I can't figure out what might be wrong with it. If anyone else has had this issue, please help!!!

Hi loraleecuthbert,

I perfectly understand that you want to send emails from your mobile device; let me take care of this situation. 

We suggest to remove your email account and add it back again to your Outlook.com app and verify if the issue persists. If so, uninstall the Outlook.com app and re-install it again to isolate the issue.

We will wait for your response. Your cooperation and understanding is highly appreciated.

Please take the best of your care and have a good one.

Thank you,

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is very likely your oldest message in your Outlook-for-Android app's Outbox.  In my case, my FOUR oldest messages were each problems.  I began by deleting them one at a time, the oldest one first.  Following each individual deletion, I returned to the Inbox, and clicked the Sync button.  Upon syncing after the fourth oldest one was deleted, more than entire month worth of email messages that had been jammed up in my Outbox without me realizing it all got sent in a long, multi-minute sync-up.

NOTE TO MICROSOFT:  Made the Outlook-for-Android app somehow prominently display that their are unsent messages in the Outbox, like a pop-up that has to be "OK'd", rather than having to open the drop-down list of folders to see the Outbox, at which time I am usually on my way to a specific folder, and immediately start scrolling without even noticing that their are one or more messages indicated in the Outbox.

Hotmail's individual email message attachment size limit is still 10MB, I believe--has been for many years.  All of the messages blocking my Outlook-for-Android app's Outbox were less than 10MB (Hotmail, itself, as opposed to the Outlook app, had given me an error when I tried sending them together as one email message, so I broke them up into four separate messages).  So, I don't think the problem had anything to do with size of the attachments.  Maybe the problem had something to do with the fact that they had attachments, at all, however, and maybe not--personally, I don't think so.  What I am pretty certain the problem had to do with was my connection status when I tried sending the messages.

All four of them were attempted sends from the same physical location at approximately the same time.  At that time, I was vacationing in a location that was not serviced by my carrier, and although my voice service was roaming, roaming was not available for data service unless I paid for it (T-Mobile in Montana), which I didn't, so I only had a data connection if and when I was connected to Wi-Fi.  I don't believe I had turned off my phone's mobile data radio, however, so I believe my phone (an LG Nexus 4) was making attempts to link up to data towers, and I believe my phone was in some sort of limbo or error state between the Wi-Fi radio and the mobile data radio when I attempted to send the emails (I believe all email activity is via data connections, but even if not, these four messages would definitely have required a data connection, due to the images I had attached to them).  I believe this limbo or error state caused some sort of malfunction that either Android or the Outlook app wasn't able to rectify, even after an eventual data connection was established.

This whole process created a bit of a headache for me, as I didn't know whether recipients would receive them in their Inbox as current ("Today's") receipts, or whether they would be placed in their Inboxes chronologically by the date I originally created them and tried sending them, in which case the recipient may never even notice them being received--except for them showing as "Unread" messages, I suppose.  In my "Sent" folder, they displayed as though they had been sent on the date I created and first tried sending them.  It turns out that the messages were received by recipients the same way--as if they had been received the dates I had created and originally attempted sending them.  Many people were unaware of their existence, therefore, and so I sent follow-up duplicates with an explanatory note included.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I deleted some of the older emails in the out box as suggested and all 43 of them got sent all at once.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

This of course caused some confusion at the receiving end but all is well.  Next time I will probably get rid of some of the newer emails first and then go back to the earliest emails.  For reference I am using a Nexus 7 if that makes any difference.

I looked on my PC and my apple IPAD and noted that there is no OUTBOX folder that I could discover on those systems.  

Again thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found that messages with attachments seem to be what is causing the issue. I haven't tried different types of files to see if that matters, but I've tried attaching Word docs from the Downloads folder on the device, and those messages consistently get stuck in the Outbox. In all instances, the Word docs were saved locally using the OneDrive app, so I'm wondering if the Outlook app is stuck trying to attach the document to the message and it never completes attaching it. Maybe a file rights issue?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 11,606 Applies to: