McAfee Anti Spam suddenly stopped filtering spam in Outlook 2013 even though I have made no changes to settings.

I have McAfee Total Protection.  I had the Anti-Spam featured turned on for the past few years and it worked great.  I usually had a hundred or so really obvious junk emails every day or two in the McAfee folder in Outlook.  Then, all of a sudden it stopped working for no reason.  It was driving me crazy culling through these horrible emails in my inbox.  I finally got it to start working again and I wanted to put this up on the community board.  The previous similar questions were already locked so I had to start a new one.

I spent two days googling and trying everything that was suggested - I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection and reinstalled it, I checked my Outlook add-ins, I checked my registry, I checked my McAfee AntiSpam settings, etc.  Nothing worked.  Then I just decided to try the following and it seems to have worked:

Go to McAfee Total Protection, click on My Privacy, where you see Anti Spam on the left pane, turn it OFF.  Close out McAfee Total Protection.

Go to Outlook.  Right mouse click on your "McAfee Anti-Spam" folder from your inbox.  Choose "Delete Folder."  (Don't worry, you can get it back later.)

In Outlook click on File>Options>Addins.  At the bottom of this page you see COM Addins.  Click on the "Go" button next to it.  If you see McAfee Addins listed, REMOVE check mark from that box.

REBOOT your computer (just to be on the safe side, I have no idea if it matters but I did it)

Open McAfee Total Protection.  Click on My Privacy.  Click on Anti Spam on the left side pane and turn it ON.

Open Outlook.  Click on File>Options>Add-Ins

At the bottom of this page you will see "COM Add-ins."  Click the "Go" button next to it.

You should see "McAfee Addin" listed there.  Put the check mark in the box.  

I believe my McAfee anti-spam folder came back in Outlook automatically when I turned the feature back on but I honestly can't remember exactly that part of the process.  If you don't see it you can just right mouse click on that inbox and add "New Folder" and call it McAfee Anti-Spam.

REBOOT computer again, just because. It couldn't hurt.

Wait for spam to roll in and see if it rolls into your McAfee antispam folder.  Mine is working!  Good luck!

There was tech support spam posted to this thread. (stephin78) The post at Microsoft Community was deleted, but you may have received a copy of the spam in a Notification Email. Do not call whatever phone number was posted. It does not belong to Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2023 Views 554 Applies to: