Mailbox full but cannot delete emails using outlook webmail

My Mailbox is full. I was trying to delete the emails permanently using SHIFT+DELETE using my web email but i could see that these emails never get deleted.

Also inorder to reduce the mail box size i was downloading the emails to Local PST but it always keeps downloading ,but on server i never see the size decreasing.

I am doing this activity since last 3 weeks and am not able to understand how to fix this .'

Mailbox size is : 100 GB

Hi Abhilash,

If you are unable to delete only some emails (while others get deleted just fine), then your Outlook data file might be corrupted. There's also a possibility that the folder is locked because it is being used by a 3rd party application (for example, it may be scanned by an anti-virus program). For us to be able to isolate the main issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below and see if there's any changes:

Step 1: Clean boot.

It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and start up programs. It will also eliminate software conflicts that could occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows. Please see this link for the steps.

Note:  After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Step 2: Start Outlook in safe mode and disable add-ins.

1. Choose Start > Run.
  2. Type Outlook /safe, and choose OK.
  3. In the Choose Profiles dialog box, accept the default setting of Outlook and choose OK.
  4. If prompted, enter your password and choose Accept.

Disable add-ins.

5. In the upper-left corner of Outlook, choose File > Options > Add-ins.
  6. At the bottom of the View and manage Office Add-ins, make sure the Manage box shows COM Add-ins, and then choose Go.
  7. As a precaution, when the COM Add-ins listing of your current add-ins opens, do one of the following:

Manually record the title of every selected add-in listed under Available Add-ins.

or

Take a screenshot of the property sheet and save the image to a location of your choice.

8. After you've captured the titles of the selected add-ins, clear all selected check boxes, and then choose OK.

CAUTION: Click a check box to clear it. Don't select an add-in and choose Remove. If you have administrator rights, you could actually delete the add-in. For this troubleshooting exercise, you want to disable, not delete, an add-in.

9. Choose File > Exit.

Once done, please restart Outlook.

Let us know if the above steps helped resolve your concern.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2024 Views 2,627 Applies to: