Hi,

So I've been checking my account and saw a log in that said "successful sign-in" on my account, I checked the IP address compared to my others and it isn't the same (I only sign in with my WiFi). All my other sign ins (that I know for sure are me) say "Successful Sign-in" and underneath say "Additional Verification Requested" which is my 2 step verification where I get a code. The ones with the IP address I don't recognise just say "Successful Sign-in" and doesn't mention about additional verification, I never even receive a code for these ones so I'm confused. After I saw it the first time I changed my password to secure my account but now a day later it's come up again (same unrecognised IP address as before!) I have no idea what this is and why it is happening. I'd appreciate some help please. I thought it could be my laptop as I'm logged into Microsoft on there with One Drive but that doesn't explain the IP address being different to my WiFi IP address on other sign ins

I've selected outlook for the topic but I only use this account for my laptop and Ubisoft account, I log in to Microsoft account on my phone now and then to check activity

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello! My name is Nazia.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, please note this is an open forum for user-to-user support. Staff members of Microsoft Support do not manage this forum. Everybody here is assisting one another. Users of this forum are not employees of Microsoft, and we have no influence on its policies, operations, or data.

Your description shows that even after you reset your password, an unauthorized user was still able to access your account. I recommend turning on two-step verification for your account if your new password is strong enough. In order to prevent anyone from ever receiving the code you'll receive through email or phone for the second verification step if they manage to get access to your login information.

For more information, see this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

This is the only way you can stop an unauthorized login.

Regards,
Nazia

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Yes I understand that, I'm just confused about this situation. My password is strong and I enabled 2 factor authentication but it still happened even after that? It says the sign in device was Windows but browser "Unknown" and it just says United Kingdom. I didn't receive a 2 step code for this sign in as it doesn't say under the info "Additional Verification Requested" it just says "Successful Sign-in" so is this a linked account maybe that doesn't require the 2 step verification? I'm not sure. It still doesn't explain why the IP address isn't the same as my usual WiFi one

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you receive this message as an email, or did you check this on your Microsoft account recent activity?

If this is a message, then it could be fake or a scam. You should check the page of recent activity on your account, which is the first thing you should do in this circumstance to be secure. Click the link below to view the most recent activity on your account:
https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&...

More information on the recent activity page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was in my login activity on my account.

The only thing that matches up with this is when I logged into my laptop which uses this Microsoft account (I have to enter a pin to get into my laptop that is linked to this account). But that doesn't explain the different IP addresses? The timings are a little off but it usually is when I sign in with mobile and 2 step verification anyway so that's not a worry.

If it is from signing into my laptop it would make sense but I have signed into it three times now and all IP addresses were different to the WiFi IP address shown when I log in via mobile and are different from each other (two of them are a mix of numbers and letters, like how my mobile IP address is shown and another is just numbers).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry if there's any confusion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Several things come to mind:

- VPN

- Private/public IP addresses

You could be seeing private IP in your WiFi IP address (eg: 192.168.x.x) but sign-in activity shows your public IP.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was in my login activity on my account.

The only thing that matches up with this is when I logged into my laptop which uses this Microsoft account (I have to enter a pin to get into my laptop that is linked to this account). But that doesn't explain the different IP addresses? The timings are a little off but it usually is when I sign in with mobile and 2 step verification anyway so that's not a worry.

If it is from signing into my laptop it would make sense but I have signed into it three times now and all IP addresses were different to the WiFi IP address shown when I log in via mobile and are different from each other (two of them are a mix of numbers and letters, like how my mobile IP address is shown and another is just numbers).

Alphanumeric IP addresses are IPv6 and numbers only IP addresses are IPv4. You're fine. You're just seeing IPv4 and IPv6 representation of your IP address. Google "what is my IP address". You will see your public IPv4 and IPv6 (if enabled) addresses.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing the details. You've got different IP addresses for your mobile login because of the dynamic IP. Most mobile devices use dynamic IP addresses, which are given to them by the network upon connection and vary over time.

On the other hand, your laptop's IP remains constant when you log in to your account using Wi-Fi since it is static, or more simply said, it is fixed.

So there is nothing to worry about!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW, is there anything I can do to assist you?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you this makes sense. So I checked and turns out the IP address that's just numbers is my IP address! No idea there could be more than one.

All other sign ins are from my WiFi IP address that's the mixture of letters and numbers so that's good. However there is one session a few days ago that I think was me and the IP address starts off the same as the usual WiFi IP address but the last few letters and numbers are different? This one ends in completely different numbers and letters but the first 15 or so letters/numbers are the same. So I'm a little confused on this one. I have changed my password since but my anxiety doesn't sit well with things I don't understand which is clearly a lot with technology haha

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 1,191 Applies to: