Live.com signup with my domain, but "email address is part of a reserved domain"

Hi!
I own the domain "i******.com", and I am registered with live.com as "a***@i******.com".
My friend, who also has an email account in the domain, tried registering for live.com with his email address. When he submits the registration form, he gets this validation error:
This email address is part of a reserved domain such as live.com, hotmail.com, or msn.com. Please enter a different email address.

live.com obviously must allow more than one user from a domain (I imagine there's at least two or three "@gmail.com" users out there ;-).
Is there something I need to do from my domain dns/live.com/something else settings to allow other accounts to use the domain?

Hi alanig,

I sincerely apologize for not being able to answer your concern in a timely manner. I understand that you can't sign up using your custom domain in Outlook.com. Let me help you with that.

For us to investigate your concern, I've created a private message and please provide there your custom domain and the email address you want to create for security purposes. You need to click the notification that states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section."

Note: You need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community forum to view the link. Kindly notify us here when the needed information has been provided in the private message area.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks!
I replied to the private message

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi alanig,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply.

To continue assisting you with your issue, please view the reply I sent in the private message area. To view it, please sign in using a Microsoft account and click Private Messages tab across All Replies.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi alanig,

I sent you a private message.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Microsoft,

I have the same issue as the alanig.

Can assist ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Me too. if there is a hard road and an easy road, why does Microsoft always take the hard one whereas apple always takes the easy one? sack the techies and employ some more customer experience people.

how do I create accounts for the other members of my family on our domain?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It would have helped if the content from the private answers made it to the thread, right?

Manage your domain here: https://domains.live.com ... That's regardless of whether MS actually hosts the domain (mine is actually on another hosting provider).

From there, you can add individual users, or you can open the domain up, so anyone with an email address using the domain can register for live.com services.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello EricaPascoe & jc7jonathan,

We apologize for the delay in our response. Please confirm if you are still unable to register the email addresses in Outlook.com. If so, we'd like to ask you to get in touch with the domain administrator of the domain that you're trying to use as a Microsoft account and have them added the account using the Admin Panel.

Also, to clarify the statement of alanig, "That's regardless of whether MS actually hosts the domain", please be informed that the error message won't appear if it is not hosted in Outlook.com via Windows Live Admin Center as a custom domain. Any email address that will use that specific domain will get an error if the regular sign up process for Outlook.com will be followed since the domain is already registered in Admin Center. Only the Domain Administrator can create the account with the domain name involved using the Admin Panel in the Admin Center page.

If you have clarifications, feel free to post back for further assistance.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2023 Views 1,173 Applies to: